Chapter 1

March 7th, 2018

Dry, still a bit greenish leaves cover the damp ground. Sometimes, just sometimes, you can hear the rustling of the dry leaves as I run over them. The exhilaration of running to me is incredible. The breeze hitting my bare skin and my lungs filled with what feels like liquid oxygen. The park is the only place I can do this.

Run.

Run free without a thought in my mind, without being seen, leaving me to do as I please. I loved it, every slow moving second of it. Time felt slower then me when I ran, but I never thought about it much.

I lived in the middle of Riptide, it lays about 45 miles west of New, New York City (N.N.Y.C for short), right by the Atlantic Ocean. You might think "What happened to just New York?"

 Times have changed in a short period. New York was attacked by who knows what and we were left to fend for our self's.

Long story short, whatever they were they didn't come in peace.

Later old New York was destroyed and almost turned to rubble, so they had to rebuild everything. In that time Riptide became a city to house all of the now homeless New Yorker's. Other people just lived with near by relatives, but Riptide was the place for the hopeless. I don't mean to make that sound to sad, but it was true. For the majority of the time this place was a dump. The sky's were gray and the streets were dark. But now this place is home. Most people didn't go back to N.N.Y.C because they thought sooner or later it would just be attacked again. Which I guess is a good point. But other wise this place has really cleaned up.

I look down at my watch.

7:06

Oh god. I was suppose to be back for dinner 6 minutes ago! I start to sprint as fast as my legs will take me and hope Mr. Rosa won't be to mad about my late comings.

I finally arrived back at the orphanage and look at the clock neatly placed above the main entrance.

7:10

Ten minutes never hurt anyone.

Ms. Rosa was in the kitchen making her famous roasted carrot tomato soup with basil, for the other sixteen kids that live in this house. (Must I say to die for.)

"Emma!" Her voice cracked. "Where have you been! You said we were going to cook dinner together tonight." She waved her hands up in the air like the place was on fire.

"Sorry I just lost track of time. I think my watch might be off." I said tapping it a couple of times. 

Clockwork. 

"Whatever, just pass me that tomato." She sighed before going back to mixing the soup. 

After dinner was done I helped clean up, wash the dishes and get the rest of the kids settled down. Most of them were only 6-10 years old. To think they lost there parents at such a young age.

"Come on, lights out." I repeat to the hyper children bouncing on there beds.

"Tell us a story!" One shouted causing the others to calm down a bit.

"Fine. But you all have to go to sleep right after." The kids nodded there little heads.

"Ok, lets start out long ago before most things exited, there was a woman made out of fire. She lived alone in a desert covered in sand and boulders. One day she discovered that if she kissed a boulder her  flames would melt it into a happy molten baby and she was no longer alone. She loved and protected them like a mother. Until the first time it ever rained. Every drop that hit her weakened and shrank her until her molten babies towered over her and realized it was their turn to protect her. They gathered around her shielding her from the rain, but transformed them back into there original bolder form. And even though she's safe shes trapped and her lava tears flowed out and into the sea." After that the kids seemed to be out and done. I got up as quite as possible and made my way to the door before shutting it.

Thank god for comic books.