Chapter 14: Mystery

It was a quiet and rather gloomy day. Fog and mist was everywhere, monsters roamed the woods, and bats flew through the air. Of course, when the new Order of the Stone is involved, things never remain quiet for long. Out of nowhere, five people fell from the sky and landed in a small cemetery. Those people were us, by the way.

We got up with groans of pain. Jesse shooed away a bat that was stuck to his face. He looked at his surroundings. "Okay guys," he said. "I'm seeing grass, forests, lots of ground in all directions. All good signs so far..." That's when I noticed that one of us was missing. "Hey guys," I said. "Do you know where Isaac is?"

As if fate decided to answer my question, Isaac the assassin fell from nowhere and landed on top of Jesse with a clunk. I winced and pulled Jesse out from under Isaac. "Jesse, are you alright?," I asked worriedly. Jesse got up and forced on a smile. "I am now," he said wittily. I sighed in relief and glared at Isaac. "Isaac, you apologize to Jesse right now, mister," I said. Isaac got up as well and bowed. "Apologies for my reckless behavior, Jesse," he said. "I had no intention of hurting you." "Your profession says otherwise," Lukas muttered.

"I still cannot believe that you let an assassin into our group!," Ivor scolded. "One that tried to kill you, I might add." "See, Ivor agrees with me too!," said Kevin. "Seriously, there's being a moron, and then there's having slime blocks for brains!" "Don't worry, Uncle Ivy," I said calmly. "Isaac claims to be the greatest warrior in the land. Don't you think we could use his skills?" But Ivor was no longer listening. He was too busy staring at the two moons floating in the sky. ...hold on, TWO MOONS?!

"Aha," remarked Jesse curiously. "Verdict says?," said Petra. "Definitely not our world. You owe me two iron, Lukas." Lukas rolled his eyes and reluctantly gave up the two iron ingots. Petra turned to me. "You too, Alex," she said in a smug tone. "Pay up." "What are you talking about?," I asked. "I didn't bet on anything." "You sure about that?," asked Petra, that smug smile still on her face. I stuck out my tongue in response.

"Aw come on - can't you hear it?," asked Jesse excitedly. "Uh...spooky forest?," said Petra sarcastically. "It's the sound of a new adventure!," Jesse exclaimed. "I bet this place is going to be awesome." "Damn it, Jesse!," groaned Kevin. "Stop tempting fate!" "I hope you're right," said Lukas. "I was just...ugh. I'm just worried about Axel and Olivia." "What?," asked Petra. "Why?" "Well, if they followed us back to that Old Builder temple and went through the portal..." "They would arrive in Sky City...to find it overflowing with monsters," finished Ivor. "Oh no," I muttered. "I never even considered that."

"Yeah, me too," moaned Jesse. "If they followed us...they could be in trouble." "Hey," said Petra, "maybe next time we're in the portal hall we can leave a sign or something. Tell them which one we're going through." "That's a great idea, Petra!," I exclaimed happily. Lukas and Isaac nodded in agreement. Ivor, however, had other ideas.

"Well I for one vote that we not be so hasty to try and get out of here," he said. "Who knows what sorts of treasures this new world could hold? Besides, unless the next portal is disguised as a tombstone I'm not seeing it anywhere near here." "You guys see some sort of...shape over there?," asked Jesse, pointing at what appears to be a book on a pedestal. "Yeah, what is that?," asked Petra. "Let's find out," said Jesse as we all walked towards it.

Once we got close enough, Jesse picked up the book and opened it. "What does it say?," I asked. "It says 'Invitation'," said Jesse. "And then 'Read immediately! Your life depends on it!' Ahem, 'Greetings Traveller--'" Groans came from behind us. We turned around and saw a horde of zombies headed towards us. "Yeah that seems about right," said Lukas. Petra ran up to a zombie and sliced it to death. "Keep reading, Jesse!," said Petra. "We've got your back!" Petra, Lukas, and Isaac began killing the zombies with their swords while I shot them down with my arrows, Ivor hid for cover, and Jesse kept reading.