Chapter 5: Destruction

My heartbeat quickened as I followed Jesse, Axel, and Reuben to the portal. I knew that what I was doing was wrong, but I also knew that I had no choice. Despite what everyone told me, I just couldn't let them do this by themselves. I needed to help them.

The problem is, I couldn't let them know I was joining them, otherwise they would send me back to the temple. So after Jesse, Axel, and Reuben disappeared into the portal, I waited a few minutes before going through it myself. When I entered the Nether, I saw the minecarts nearby. Two of them were missing, meaning Jesse, Axel, and Reuben were here.

I went into one of the carts and it drove along the railroad, where it went past a sign that said "Boom Town" in rainbow letters. After the cart stopped at another portal, I got out and went through it. Unfortunately, I didn't consider the possibility of the other side of the portal being high in the air, so I fell down and landed on the ground with a grunt. When I stood up and observed my surroundings, I couldn't believe what I saw.

Boom Town sure does live up to its name. All the houses were on fire and looked like they haven't been cleaned in years. There were lots of explosions going off in the distance and there were also griefers everywhere, throwing eggs at each other and even blowing themselves up with TNT. I had no idea why Axel would ever want to visit a place like this.

I looked into the distance and saw a massive black spire. I had a hunch that this is where Magnus is supposed to be. I looked around and realized that I had no idea where my friends went off to. In this crazy town, they could be anywhere! I started walking around and eventually got chased by a griefer screaming at the top of his lungs while holding TNT above his head. Fortunately, I was able to shake him off. I heard music nearby and saw a building with flashing lights shining from the windows. Curious, I walked inside...

...just in time to have something hurtling towards my head. I shrieked and instinctively ducked, causing the object to shatter right next to the door that I just entered through. The object turned out to be a mug that was filled with liquor. Looking around the room, I saw lots of burly men with masks and tattoos sitting and drinking liquor. This must be a bar. I decided to ask the bartender, a muscular man with an eyepatch and a red mohawk.

"Um, excuse me sir," I said nervously. The bartender, who was cleaning the counter with a dirty rag, looked up and gave me an unnerving stare. I gulped and continued. "S-sir, I was wondering if you've seen two people here. One's a brown haired guy with overalls and the other's a bigger guy with a green hoodie. Have you seen them?"

The bartender had a predatory grin on his face. "No ma'am, haven't seen any people matching your description," he said. "But I do see a nice drink of water standing in front of me." My neck hairs stood on end. "Name's Ghost. What's yours, pretty lady?" I glanced around and saw all the bar patrons staring at us. "Uh, it's A-A-Alex. Look, i-if you see my--"

"Alex huh?" I eyed Ghost as he walked around the counter to get to me. "Cute name. You tired of being a virgin, Alex? 'Cause I could easily help you with that." I gasped and tried to back away but one of the patrons grabbed me from behind and forced me to my knees. "Please Ghost!," I begged. "I'm not here for trouble! I'm just looking for my friends!" Ghost just grinned. "Then congratulations! You've just made a new one. His name's Little Ghost and he's just dying to get to know you." I wasn't sure I wanted to meet this Little Ghost.

I tried to struggle but the patron's grip was too strong. Tears began to drip from the corners of my eyes. "Aw, don't cry Alex," Ghost cooed. "Hey, how about I give your eye a little kiss? Could help with the swelling." He leaned in and puckered his lips. I panicked and struggled even more, only to accidentally headbutt him in the process.

Everyone in the room gasped and backed away, including the patron who was holding me down. I jumped to my feet as Ghost stumbled back, rubbing his forehead and swearing loudly. He glared at me, the seductive look in his eyes now replaced with unbridled anger. There was now a large bruise on his head. Roaring with anger, he charged at me.