Chapter 8: Escape

We split up and searched the wool room for anything that could help us continue onwards. Suddenly remembering Billy, I took him out of my pocket. Thankfully, he was still dry even after the whole ordeal with the mob grinder. "Do you have any ideas?," I asked him. "Maybe there's a lever somewhere? Or a secret door?" "..." I sighed sadly. "Thanks anyway," I mumbled before putting him back in my pocket. That's weird. Usually, I would feel a lot happier after talking to him. Maybe this whole journey is just getting to me.

As I walked around the room, I couldn't help but admire Soren's work. Even though everything in this room was made of wool, it still looked extremely realistic. I saw Jesse walk up to me. "Alex," he said, "I'm worried about Petra. Ever since we left the temple, she's been getting worse and worse. I don't know what's happening to her, but I hope she gets well soon." I bit my lip and nodded. "Yeah," I said. "So do I." Then, I remembered something.

"Jesse, do you know where Lukas is?," I asked. "I need to talk to him." He nodded. "I saw him standing by that tree," he said, pointing at said tree. Sure enough, Lukas was standing right next to it. "Thanks, Jesse," I said and walked towards Lukas. When I got to him, I asked, "Are you okay, Lukas? I know that things didn't turn out the way we hoped, but I'm sure we'll find Soren in the end." Lukas shook his head. "That's not what I'm worried about," he said. I frowned. "Then what's bothering you?," I asked.

Lukas sighed and looked at me. "It's about Petra," he said. "There's something wrong with her. She keeps saying she's fine, but I don't buy it. I mean, you saw what happened back there, right? Petra got knocked down by just a few zombies. The Petra that I knew would have beaten them to pulps." Then, his eyes narrowed. "You're hiding something."

I panicked but tried not to show it. "What do you mean?," I asked, trying to sound oblivious. Lukas glared at me. "Alex, you and Petra aren't fooling anybody. Please, tell me what's wrong with her. Maybe we can help." I stared at my shoes and my lips began to quiver. I have never felt so low in my life. "I...I'm sorry," I whispered. "I can't tell you."

"I can't believe you!," yelled Lukas. "Petra's getting worse by the minute and you're not even gonna tell me?" He scoffed. "Some friend you turned out to be." I whipped my head up and stared at him in shock and betrayal. Lukas's eyes widened and he covered his mouth with his hands, but it was too late. The damage has already been done.

"Alex," he whispered. "I'm...I'm so sorry. I didn't mean that, I swear..." Suddenly, the entire room shook a little and we turned to see a doorway open up in a wall. Jesse was already standing in front of it. "That's...weird," he said. "Hey, everyone! I think I found Soren's way out!" I started walking towards him but Lukas stopped me for a moment. "Alex," he said, staring at me with pleading eyes. "Please forgive me." I ignored him and continued walking.

Eventually, everyone was standing in front of the doorway. "Great," said Lukas. "Now on to Weirdoville in 3, 2, 1." We walked through the doorway and into a large room filled with tables, chairs, chandeliers, and fountains. "We'll check out the rest of the house," said Petra. "See if we can find Soren before he finds us." We split up again and searched the new room. I was observing one of the fountains when Lukas walked up to me.

"Alex, I am so sorry," he said. "I really didn't mean what I said back there. You're a very good friend, actually." I glared at him. "Are you going somewhere with this?," I huffed angrily. Lukas rubbed the back of his head shamefully. "I'm sorry," he said. "It's just...I was very worried about Petra and needed to vent badly. Look, if you don't want to tell me, that's fine. I'm sure it's none of my business and you have a good reason for hiding it."

Now it was my turn to feel ashamed. All the anger I felt towards him instantly vanished. "I'm sorry too, Lukas," I said. "But Petra promised me not to tell anyone. She just doesn't want you guys to worry about her." Lukas nodded. "So...are we cool now?," he asked hopefully. I smiled brightly. "Yeah, we're cool," I said. We hugged for a while, then split up.