Chapter 15: Revealed

We began to investigate the kitchen. After a while, I noticed Jesse walking up to a painting of a creeper with a white apron and a little hat. "Does this painting have... eyeholes?," asked Jesse. I went next to him and observed the painting for myself. "You're right, Jesse," I said. "This painting does have eyeholes." "Oh yeah," said Petra. "How'd I not notice that before?" "Seems worth taking a closer inspection...," said Ivor.

Jesse punched the painting, causing it to explode in a puff of smoke. Behind the painting was a small room with a torch and a lever inside it. A hallway was located on one side of the room. "A secret passageway," Isaac noted. "That must be how the murderer moves around undetected." "Yes, very clever...," Ivor agreed. "What do you suppose that lever does?" "Okay everyone," said Jesse, "make sure you're nowhere near that arrow trap..." We backed away from where the dispenser would have shot the arrows.

Jesse pulled the lever, and poisoned arrows shot from the dispenser, embedding into the ground. "More of those potion-covered arrows," said Petra. "Nasty." A trapdoor opened up and sucked in the arrows. "Well," said Ivor, "seems like we found how the White Pumpkin killed Torque Dawg." "Yeah," said Jesse. "And how he's getting around the house." We headed into the room and spotted a ladder. Jesse began to climb it.

"I assume we're investigating the creepy passageway?," asked Petra. "I think we've come too far to turn around now," said Jesse. As Jesse climbed the ladder, Ivor gestured for Petra to go ahead. "Well," he said. "After you then." Petra rolled her eyes but went ahead anyway. Ivor followed her, then me, then finally Isaac. "I hope Dan's okay locked up in the library...," said Petra as we walked through the passage. "We could have put them in even bigger danger." "Hey, do you trust me or not?," asked Jesse irritably. "I don't need people second-guessing me on this." "Geez, okay okay, sorry," Petra apologized.

"Don't get too upset, Jesse," I said, slightly irked at his temper. "We're doing the best we can." "Yes," agreed Ivor. "Keep that temper up and people will start to think you're the White Pumpkin." We eventually arrived at what appeared to be the back of a painting with eyeholes and another lever. "What do you think that is?," asked Jesse. "No idea," said Ivor. "But look. A lever!" "Oooh," said Jesse. "Mystery lever. I wonder what it does."

"Jesse!," I cried. Jesse and Ivor looked at me in surprise. "Don't you remember what the last lever did?" Jesse's eyes widened at the realization. "Oh," he whispered. "Forgot about that." "It was rather obvious if you ask me," said Isaac. "Don't feel bad, Jesse," said Ivor, attempting to comfort him. "I was tempted too." Jesse walked up and placed his eyes directly behind the eyeholes. "See anything that this lever might be connected to?," asked Ivor. "What do you see?" "It's the library," said Jesse. "I see Dan locked up in there."

I faintly heard a door open and what sounded like Dan and Lizzie having a conversation. However, their words were muffled and I couldn't understand what they were saying. Suddenly, Jesse turned around. "The White Pumpkin!," he said. "He's in there!" "Then let's go kick his butt!," said Petra, taking out her sword. I took out my bow and Isaac took out dual swords. Jesse punched through the painting and we all ran into the library. Dan and Lizzie stared at us in shock. "What on earth--?!," cried Dan. We looked at one of the paintings and saw golden eyes staring at us through the eyeholes.

Suddenly, the fireplace opened up, sending a torrent of spiders into the library. Iron bars appeared on the doors, trapping us inside. "What's going on?," asked Lukas from outside the library. "The door's locked. Jesse?" "Spiders!," cried Jesse. "They're everywhere." "Okay," said Lukas, "I'll see if I can get in another way." We all took out our weapons and fought off the spiders. I managed to shoot down three of them before hearing Dan fall to the floor with a spider on his back. "Ahh," he cried. "Get it off!"

Jesse ran over and stabbed the spider attacking Dan. "Thanks!," he said, getting back up. After killing all the spiders, we looked at the painting again, but the golden eyes were gone. "He's...gone!," groaned Petra. "For now," said Jesse. "Time to get to the bottom of this." We walked towards Dan as he stared at us uneasily. "I was watching you from the walls," said Jesse. "We need to talk." "Oh no no no," Dan protested. "You heard the part where I said it was an accident, right? I'm innocent!"