Chapter 13: Demons

We split up and started investigating by ourselves. I tried asking the locals where the Blaze Rods were, but they either ran away in terror, told me to go away, or rant on and on about how great the Founder is. After thirty minutes of searching, I was no closer to finding the inn than when I started. Eventually, we all grouped up except for Jesse. "We should find Jesse and see if he found anything," said Petra. We agreed and searched through the city, until we finally found Jesse talking to a man with yellow facial hair and unkempt overalls.

"Hey, this our guy?," asked Petra as we walked towards them. "He tell you where to find the Blaze Rods?," asked Ivor. "How many of you are there?," asked the man. "I told you. I don't know anything." "Come on," said Jesse. "You can trust me. Nothing bad is going to happen. Just help us." "Fine!," groaned the man. "If it will make you leave me alone, that 'Aiden' fellow DID come talk to me earlier. Wanted to know where the Eversource was."

"Called it!," yelled Ivor, raising his hand. "I just told him what everyone else already knows," said the man. "The Eversource is in the palace with the Founder. That's all that happened, I swear." "What a bunch of creeps," growled Petra. "You and me both, girl," said Kevin. "Yes," said the man, "I wasn't terribly fond of them." "So where is Aiden now?," asked Jesse. "The group left for the palace and I haven't seen them since," said the man.

"Hold on," I said. "You're Milo, right?" Milo nodded nervously. "Was one of those outsiders super mean, slightly bigger than the others, and had a slicked back hairstyle?," I asked. "Yes," said Milo. "I believe he introduced himself as Thomas. He was actually the nastiest of the bunch. He was constantly berating the others and even went so far as to beat up the female member of their group. He certainly put a nasty taste in my mouth."

"Thomas is beating Maya?," I asked in concern. Even though Maya definitely didn't make a good first impression on me, I still felt pity towards her since I knew what it was like to get beaten by that monster. "Didn't the others try to stop him?" "Well, the bearded man named Gill did LOOK like he wanted to intervene," said Milo. "But Aiden wouldn't let him."

"Attention!," announced a guard that was walking by. "Attention, everyone! Just a moment of your time, please! Emergency meeting in the Founder's Garden! Attendance is mandatory!" "Oh, slime blocks," cursed Milo, angrily walking past us. "Curious," said Ivor. "I wonder what that's all about." We walked in front of the palace, where a large mob was already there. "Oh!," cried a woman. "It's the Founder!" A woman wearing a yellow robe and a golden band around her head walked out of the entrance. "Whoo, mama!," cried Kevin. "Look at those hips! And the size of those breasts, too!" I tried my best to ignore him.

The Founder wasn't alone. The Blaze Rods were next to her, grinning cheekily. I focused my attention on Thomas, who was gazing at the crowd with a malicious glint in his eyes, like he was planning to do something terrible to these people. My eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Oh, you have got to be kidding me," said Jesse. "What are you--," said Petra before spotting the Blaze Rods. "Oh crap." "You can say that again," I muttered.

"People of Sky City!," said the Founder. "I'm sorry to pull you from your duties, but something urgent has come to my attention. A crime has been committed." The crowd gasped in horror. "Please remain calm," said the Founder. "Earlier today, outsiders built a bridge into our fair city from a distant island!" Behind us, the front gate opened, revealing the dirt bridge we made along with Ivor's skull statue. "Now, whether these outsiders know it or not, this is a violation of Sky City's most sacred law: no unauthorized building."

"Wait," said Milo. "Was that you? Are you the bridge builders?" "I didn't know it was against the law!," said Jesse. "It was just a bridge!" "This is nuts!," said Petra. I saw Thomas walk up to the Founder and whisper something in her ear. "Alexandra, wherever you are, step forward now. I have already been informed of your identity. I appreciate that you may be ignorant of our laws, but I will warn you: Sky City is small and I promise that if you try to hide I will find you." A group of guards walked towards the crowd. "Welp, we're fucked."