Chapter 16: Perfection

We jumped out of the portal as a large explosion occurred behind us, blasting us out to the hallway. We landed painfully on the ground with our clothes and hair slightly singed. "That was crazy!," said Jesse, brushing himself off. "Why would there even BE a fire world?!?" "Isn't there already one?," I asked, slowly catching my breath. "I mean, the Nether is technically a fire wo-- Holy crap Lukas, your butt's on fire!" Lukas immediately began jumping up and down in pain. Jesse quickly patted the fire away. "Thanks, guys."

Lukas took out a book and began writing in it. "I marked that one down as 'Fire World.'" "Wow," drawled Petra, crossing her arms. "How'd you come up with THAT gem of a name?" "Okay...did I miss something here?," asked Lukas, putting his book away. "Yeah, what's up with you?," asked Jesse. "What's up with me?," asked Petra angrily. "What's UP? I'm tired of all this useless portal-hopping trying to find our way home!"

"Don't worry, Petra," I said, slightly taken aback by her outburst. "I'm sure we'll get home through the next portal." "Yeah, which is what you told me before the last ten portals we went through!," snapped Petra, causing me to wince. "Come on, Petra," said Jesse, "I know it's tough, but we're the Order of the Stone! We don't just give up!" "Ugh, I know you love your peptalks and all, Jesse," Petra retorted, "but they don't exactly get us any closer to home, do they?" Jesse was about to respond when he shouted, "Lukas, you're on fire again!" Lukas quickly patted the fire away himself.

"See...Ugh...this is what I'm talking about," said Petra. "We're stuck in a rut - go through a portal, avoid dying long enough to get back to this stupid hallway..." "...wash, rinse, repeat...," Ivor finished. "Yes. It would be nice if whoever made these left some sort of signs. Guideposts." "All the Portal Frames do look kind of different...," Jesse mused. "You're right!," said Lukas. "This one totally has a fire vibe, that skull back there is the White Pumpkin...There's a system!" "Not to mention all the other portals we went through," said Isaac. "Like the blue one that led to the water world and the white one with sheep in it."

At this point, Petra started walking away angrily. "Petra?," asked Ivor. "Where are you going?" "There may not be guideposts, but someone must be able to tell us how to navigate these stupid portal," said Petra. She walked up to a red portal with a redstone frame. "Okay, this one's redstone. Redstone means smart people. Hopefully smart enough to help us find the way home." "And what if there aren't smart people, huh?," asked Jesse. "You think about that?" "Yeah!," Lukas agreed. "We could just find ourselves at another, another Psycho Pumpkin Mansion." "Man, I really hope that's not the case," I said nervously.

"Well I'm willing to take that shot," said Petra. "So what are you saying here huh?," asked Lukas. "That you've made up your mind? You're just going through this portal and that's it?" "Maybe I am," said Petra. "Maybe I'm just saying that I'm tired of Jesse calling the shots Every. Single. Time." "...dang." "Petra!," I scolded, astonished that she would say something like that. "Please, Petra, try to be rational!," said Jesse.

"Oh, now you're calling me irrational!," yelled Petra. "Because you ARE being irrational!," I yelled. "And you need to calm down right now! Fighting won't get us anywhere!" "Yeah, and I'm sure Jesse didn't really mean that," said Lukas. "Right, Jesse?" "Hey, you're not taking her side, Lukas!," I said. "Petra is the one who should apologize."

"I think you just misunderstood--," said Jesse. "Really?," said Petra. "Because I think I'm not exactly hearing an apology, there." "That's because he doesn't owe you one, asshole!," I screamed, finally losing my temper. With a loud yell, Petra rushed forward and shoved me to the floor. There was a dead silence afterwards.

"Alex!," cried Jesse in alarm. He and Isaac rushed to pull me to my feet, but I waved them off. With a painful groan, I got back up myself and glared at Petra, who was shaking with a pale face and wide eyes. "Alex," she croaked. "I'm so...I'm so sor--" "Fine!," I snapped, causing everyone to jump. "We'll go through this portal if that's what you want so badly! After all, why should we follow Jesse's orders? You're CLEARLY the better leader!" Without even waiting for a response, I stepped through the redstone portal and felt myself falling. I landed on the ground and got back up. I appeared to be in some sort of desert biome.