chapter 20; mrs. morgan to be

Three Months Later

The gang, still settled in Shady Belle, has been very busy. Dutch had titled you a gunslinger, sending you on dangerous missions with the men. Recently, you and Lenny robbed the Aberdeen pig farm which proved to be no easy task. First the incest couple overpowered you and you woke up the next day in a mass grave, surrounded by decaying bodies. Lenny was wounded but you wouldn't give up easily and returned to the farm the next day, burying bullets in their skulls and taking their fortune for the gang. Dutch praised you highly for the score and added two thirds of the earnings to the camp ledger. With the money you were allowed to keep, you treated yourself to a new a pistol and saddle.

Charles and Arthur had been focused on helping some Indian's they had met, Rainsfall and Eagle Flies

Charles and Arthur had been focused on helping some Indian's they had met, Rainsfall and Eagle Flies. The treaties the government had set with their tribe were not being honored due to the oil business controlled by Leviticus Cornwall claiming huge reserves under their land. They'd asked Arthur to steal documents for them so he hadn't been able to get back to camp for a few days. Of course, you were worried about him.

Anxiety constantly plagued you nowadays, even making you physically ill. Dutch had several missions lined up for the near future, each one more dangerous than the last. He was always going on and on about how these last few scores would secure what he needs to score a boat and move the gang to Tahiti. You placed your faith in the leader, like Arthur always has. Hosea, who was at camp more often than any of the other men, had given you more guidance and counseling, trying to reassure you that everything would end up okay.

Today you were feeling sick again and had spent most of the morning regurgitating your breakfast to the alligators lurking in the nearby water. Reluctantly returning to camp, fearful you'd be rushing back in a few minutes, Abigail waits at the porch with you, little Jack playing with homemade toys on the floor beside her.

"You alright?" She asked, already knowing you would lie. You give a weak nod, wiping your mouth.

"Maybe you're coming down with something." She suggests.

You shrug, placing the blame on your nerves. "I've just been so stressed lately... worried about Arthur. Worried about all of us."

Abigail nods. She was the easiest woman to talk to in the gang as she was always worrying about John the way you worried about your own man. "I've been feeling it too. Seems like something big is coming and it doesn't sit right with me. I worry for my boy." She ruffles Jacks hair.

"I'm ready for things to calm down again and have Arthur home for awhile." You sigh, knowing that calm was a stretch. The camp was never completely calm and you weren't confident it ever would be.

"He'll come home, he always does." She reassures you. "And when he does... if you don't get better, will you let him take you to town, see the doctor?"

You think about it for a minute, rolling the idea over in your mind. "If that would make you happy." You say with a forced laugh. The two of you give up the unpleasant topic, plopping down beside Jack to join in on the game he had made up with his little stick dolls.