chapter 29; mrs. morgan at last

The morning was bright and damp. Songbirds chirped in the surrounding forest, flittering from one branch to another. Piles of wet snow littered the forest floor, the warmth of the sun melting them away slowly. You had chosen to move your tent back outside as the season shifted from harsh winter to a chilly spring. Longing for the fresh air and sunshine, the cold was tolerable for you.

Taking deep breaths, burrowed deep within your cozy bedroll, your eyes flicker open. Poking head from its hidey hole you see Arthur's usual spot beside you is empty. You remember that the camp women had convinced you both to sleep separate from one another last night. After all, it's bad luck to see each other before the wedding.

You stretch out of the warm blankets, a grin spreading across your face. Just then Mary Beth's freckled face pops into the tent opening.

"She's awake!!" She squeals, flying to your side and yanking you up on your feet.

The other girls come rushing in, all talking at once and overwhelming you. Abigail is the last to enter, carefully carrying a bundle in her arms. She pulls back it's cover to reveal a simple white lace dress.

"Time to get dressed

"Time to get dressed." She smiles, warm and loving.

Tilly starts rambling about the spot they've set up for the ceremony while helping you out of your slip. Karen puts your corset on and starts yanking it tighter and tighter until you're sure you'll run out of air. They loved having an excuse to get all dolled up. Weddings were rare occasions for the Van der Linde girls and you didn't mind letting them have their fun with you. They spin around you, a tornado of makeup and lace. Mary Beth brushes your hair, playing with the soft curls and readying a white ribbon to tie half of it up.

Abigail holds the dress open, helping you step inside and then lacing the back up. You stand up straight and they all start ooh and ahhing at your beauty. The door of the tent flips open and in comes Ms. Molly O'Shea.

"Can I help?" She smiles timidly.

The woman look at one another, feeling unsure about letting the fox in the hen house.

"I know I haven't always been your favorite person but... I want to redeem myself. Dutch and I have never been closer and you are all such a tight knit family. I want to be part of that." She tries to state it firmly but her voice is shaking.

"Of course, Molly. I've had more second chances than I can count. You certainly deserve one to." You extend your hand out to her kindly, like an olive branch.

She smiles and takes it. Tilly hands her a small compact of makeup and Molly takes to her assigned job, dabbing the round cotton pad against your skin. Today was a day for unions, old and new.

The sun comes out from behind a cloud, illuminating the earth and reminding you of what time it is. Perfect timing as the women have finally finished their master piece. Abigail hands you a small mirror, as you peer into it you hardly recognize yourself. You add the finishing touches of the fancy diamond earrings and necklace your soon to be husband gifted you.