Chapter 11

Unedited

   Some great being in the universe must have taken pity on Harley. Mrs. Bates insisted on showing Harley all the jewels  she would be putting up for auction soon, curious if the young woman would have any interest in purchasing them.

   Due to the worth and exclusivity of the jewels, they were in her private showroom, which not only was guarded, but had security cameras everywhere, something that provided Harley with some level of comfort against the thought of Joker sneaking up on her and killing her.

   Having been left alone, (Mrs. Bates has to answer an important call), Harley admired the 'pretty shiny diamonds' that glistened and shined below her.

Spotting rose gold, with a careful hand, Harley picked up a diamond incrusted tennis bracelet with a rose gold band, sliding it onto her wrist and taking in the sight of the stones that glittered.

  "Careful. Desire becomes surrender and surrender becomes power." Came from behind her and it took all of her instincts not to swing around and beat the shit out of him for frightening her.

  Instead, she plastered on a confused, startled expression, touching her heart. "I'm sorry?" She stared at Joker who strolled closer, a predatory look on his face she was all too familiar with.

"The diamonds," he drawled, teaching around her to pick up one of the loose gemstones, "you surrender yourself to your desire for the beauty and the elegance of these minerals,  forgetting that they themselves are dangerous, when put at the right angle," he lifted his hand, running the sharp end of the stone across her throat, Harley frozen on the spot, staring at him, "thus the diamond, becomes the power." He growled softly, soaking in the fear she was unable to hide in her eyes and the way she leaned ever so slightly forward....

  "Darlin' there you are." Rick's voice destroyed whatever spell Harley seemed to have cast over her and she took some steps away from Joker who looked slightly peeved they'd been interrupted.

"I ran into your husband on my way pack. I do hope you've got your checkbook ready, looks like your wife's found a lovely piece. It's designed after Persephone, the goddess of spring you know, married to Hades, she only left the Underworld to bring spring to the world, before returning to the darkness. It compliments your skin so well, don't you agree Mr. McCalloway?" Mrs. Bates gushed from beside Rick, who watched Joker with hawklike eyes.

Harley avoided Joker's eye as he lifted her hand so he could better look at her wrist, the touch alone bringing back so many memories......

"It truly does. A piece made for Persephone herself." Harley felt his squeeze her wrist not enough to catch the others attention, but enough for Harley to notice it was directed at her.

  Sitting in the bathtub, Harley's fingers hurriedly dialed a number burned into her brain, putting the burner phone to her ear as she silently hoped for an answer.

  It had taken a few bucks and her pack of gum for her to get a burner phone from a bellboy at the hotel before reaching the Bates estate. While part of her felt guilty for hiding the device from Rick, she needed to have a backup plan.

"Hello?" Harley could have cried at the sound of the familiar voice.

"Red." Harley's voice cracked on the nickname and there was the sound of rustling from the other end of the phone.

"Harley? What....how're you talking to me? I thought you were locked up? And what was all that in Midway City?" Ivy's concern warmed the blonde and she leaned against the tiled wall.

"A lot of shit Ives, a lot of shit. But that's a story for another time. I can't talk long but I need your help."

"Anything for you my rose petal." Harley exhaled in relief. She could always count on Ivy. That much she was sure of.

"So, what do you know about this guy?" Rick faced Bates who sat in an arm chair across from the younger man, puffing away on a cigar, looking exactly like Winston Churchill.

"I know he's the Joker, if that's what your asking," Bates watched Rick continue to maintain his mask and chuckled, "my boy, I may be old, but I'm far from blind. I'd be a fool to piss a lunatic like him off by revealing I know his identity. I don't know what game he's playing, but so long as I get my end of the deal, I could give a rat's ass about what he does." Taking a few puffs from cigar, Bates was quiet for a pause.

  Just as Rick was beginning to relax, the man said something that startled him, "I know who you are too Rick Flag."

  "Shit." Rick heard Waller curse in his ear piece, "see what he says Flag, don't feed him information."

  "I also know that blonde bombshell you call your 'wife,' is Harley Quinn. To be honest, your superiors insulted my intelligence if you all thought I wouldn't recognize her." Bates said pointedly and Rick swallowed, preparing for anything.

  "What do you want?"

   "In the old days I would have had my guys take you down to the river for a short drop off a long pier, sold that blonde of yours into the Russian prostitution trade, made an example out of the two of you," Bates chuckled darkly before sobering up just as quickly, his eyes narrowed, "but this isn't the old days. I want to make a deal. Nothing you need to concern yourself with, but your supervisors." He leaned forward until his cigar was dangerously close to Rick's face, close enough that the heat of the cigar tickled the younger man's face, "if you and that blonde of yours aren't off my property in five hours, I'll set the dogs on you both."

  Locking his jaw, Rick nodded, getting to his feet, ignoring Waller barking orders in his ear. "Good to know sir."