Chapter 8

"This estate is over a hundred years old, has been in the possession of many important people. Many haven't preserved it, and that's a damn shame. I, I am a man of class and have restored it to its former glory," Bates spoke as he led Rick and Harley on a tour of his estate. Harley for the most part listened, but occasionally got distracted by something, while Rick appeared relaxed, while on the inside he was tense, ready to grab Harley and bolt at the slightest danger.

"It sure is a beautiful place," Harley mused, "you got any exotic pets or something? Thought I'd at least see a elephant walking around." Harley pouted and Rick had to resist slapping his own forehead.

Bates for the most part, found Harley amusing and very beautiful, if his brief light touches were any indication and it weren't for the mission, Rick would have broken his meaty short fingers already.

"No, no. No elephants, but I do think I have something that might excite you, come." Bates gestured for Harley to follow and she complied, Rick not a step away from her.

It was her squeal of utter excitement that had him peaking over her shoulder, blanching at the sight of the Hyena kenneled before them, other various animals of the more normal kind caged next to it.

"Oh, hi," Harley got to her knees, pressing her face and hands against the cage, completely mushing over the animal who perked at her presence, ears alert as it sniffed her curiously, "hello baby...." Rick watched worriedly as Harley cooed to the predator who shockingly, pressed its muzzle against the bars, licking Harley's cheek as she giggled, scratching its head. The animal let out its trademark bark, stubby tail wagging as Harley gave it attention and cooed at it.

"You're the first person he hasn't tried to bite the arm off of." Bates mused taking a step closer and rested a hand on Harley's shoulder and the Hyena growled, baring his teeth.

Huh, maybe Rick could grow to like Hyenas too...

"How much do you want for him?" Rick blinked, what the....

"Honey....." he started but Harley waved him off, looking at Bates seriously and the man leaned back, rubbing his bearded chin.

"To sweeten the deal, I'll throw him in for free. Damn beast's hard to control as it is and feeding him's a hassle." The older man shrugged and Harley beamed, turning her attention back to the Hyena.

"Are you coming home with me? Huh? Are you pretty boy? Yes." She cooed, completely in love with the predator.

   Bates moved over to Rick with a chuckle, having seen the younger man's reaction.

"Women, they're never satisfied yet they always get what they want. Come, we'll talk business. It's really not women's place anyway." He clasped Rick on the shoulder and he hesitated, looking at Harley who was obvious to what was going on.

"Darlin', I'm heading back inside with Mr. Bates, you good?" He asked and Harley finally tore her gaze away from her new "baby" to nod at her 'husband.'

"Remember not to eat any apricots sweetie," she wagged her finger and smiled at Mr. Bates sweetly, "He's allergic." Harley batted her lashes.

Apricots. The code word they'd come up with. Well, more so that Harley has come up with.

"Course darlin." Rick rolled his eyes, earning the laugh the laugh he wanted from Bates.

"Ah, beautiful women. Let me tell you about my last wife....." Harley watched the target lead Rick away and returned her attention to the hyena.

Joker never let her have any pets. Said they were a liability and she always wanted a hyena....

"Looks like I'm finally getting my wish huh Brucey?" Yeah, she named him after that hunky Wayne guy, sue her.

I've got a little vibe back for this story finally. I'm just waiting on the new suicide squad film to come out so I can see the dynamics between Harley and Rick and to see the backstory of what's been happening since the last film. I know it's been a LONG time since I updated but truth be told, I had completely lost interest in this story. So, we'll see how the new film goes and from there I'll proceed with this story.