Phase 14

PHASE FOURTEEN

THE LOSERS AND THE SEEKERS

There was a Baroque exposition a few days after the previous exhibition at The Raison. It was exhibited at the same area; however, it was divided into two spaces—wood sculptures of the Brazilian Baroque at the left side, and silver sculptures of Italian Baroque on the right side.

I attended the exhibition—one, because it was required in the course that I was taking, and two, was because I wanted to find myself one with the sculpture and the sculptors.

I would be lying if I said that it didn't spark any inspiration in having sculpting ideas. It was a little bit beneficial for me—one that could guide me on how I should rethink my path and tread it in a different technique.

Or was this a side effect from the Japanese-inspired immersive installation that I went to?

I was unsure, but the only thing that I was sure of—I now had a stronger sense of direction. Probably due to Michelangelo's presence, probably not him—probably from my own realizations and admittance.

It doesn't matter, for now.

As long as I know that I was on the right path, I would continue doing what I had aimed for—to gain mastery of this discipline.

"This is an example of Naturalism in sculptures," Head Sculptor Rodriguez started.

She was one of the few Head Sculptors, but she was more inclined in teaching rather than sculpting. She had a clean look—hair tied into a low ponytail, white chiffon long sleeves tucked in her skinny jeans, and a pair of high heels to finish her look.

"Lael," Michelangelo called.

Nang nilingon ko ay nahuli ko siyang nakatingin sa 'kin, seryoso.

I gave him a questioning look. "What?"

Nilipat niya ang tingin kay Head Sculptor Rodriguez bago ibinalik ulit sa 'kin.

He was taller than me, so he had to lower his head and lean it towards my face; his lips brushed the side of my ear in the process.

Kinilabutan ako ro'n.

What was that?

"Gaya-gaya siya," he whispered, his voice low and thick.

His mouth was still beside my ear—I was aware of it, so I didn't budge and let my irises move for me. Wala naman akong nakitang pagkakapareho sa Head kaya paano niya nasabi 'yon?

I discreetly sucked a deep breath when something tickled my scalp.

It was his fingers. It played with the tips of my hair as his hot breath fanned the side of my face.

Mainit ang pisngi ko ngunit malamig ang dulo ng mga daliri ko.

Kabadong-kabado.

What was he doing?

"Anong gaya-gaya sa kan'ya?"

Napalunok ako nang tumaas ang palad niya patungo sa batok ko na hinaharangan ng buhok. Kinumpol niya 'yon patungo sa puyod na lagi kong ginagawa, ang mainit na daliri ay humahaplos sa pawisan kong batok.

"Ponytail," he whispered, again, before he let go and fixed my hair that went astray. "Hindi ka naka-ponytail ngayon."

I dissipated the lingering nervousness in my throat with a shrug. "Tinatamad ako magpuyod."