Chapter Three: Serendipity

The jet touched down in L.A. shortly before six Saturday evening. Evan decided to leave Vegas a day early to get a jump on going over the case he would argue Monday afternoon. He knew he should have called the firm’s assistants his father had sent to let them bring him up to speed as planned, but he couldn’t. He wasn’t happy with the way things ended with Elizabeth.

Settling into the backseat of his father’s limo waiting outside LAX, he reached inside his suit pocket and pulled out the gold charm bracelet with the broken clasp she had unintentionally left behind. A simple, elegant trinket, but it seemed to hold the only clue about the woman who had disappeared almost as quickly as she had appeared.

Running his finger across the smooth ballerina slippers, he wondered if she was a dancer. Or did she just like the theater?  A surfboard dangled beside the slippers.

She probably lived on the west coast somewhere judging by her accent. But he had no way of finding out. He didn’t even know her last name. A larger charm than the others in a shape of a heart bore the inscription: To BB on one side and I love you, Mom, on the other.

Did the initials represent a nickname or had she lied about her name altogether?

Shoving the bracelet back inside his pocket, he looked outside the window and wondered why at the very least she hadn’t come back to get her jewelry. It was obviously personal, and something she wouldn’t have wanted to leave behind. That’s why he ordered breakfast for two this morning and waited patiently thinking she would return. But the hours trickled by and there was no sign of her...

Women were often unpredictable and he shouldn’t have given her another thought, but he couldn’t get her off his mind. How could he? The night had been… magical and full of surprises he didn’t expect in a million years.

As the limo neared the exclusive area of Holmby Hills, Evan watched as the black wrought-iron gates leading to his childhood home neared. His father's driver, Chester, stopped long enough to key in the security code, and then waited for the gates to open before proceeding down the winding drive leading to the English style mansion where his parents still resided.

As the Lincoln pulled into the circular drive, Evan was surprised to see his father waiting on the front landau as they pulled to a stop. Without giving Chester enough time to put the car in park, Joshua Callahan already had his hand on the handle, opening the back door.

“Evan,” his father said, smiling wide. “I was surprised you phoned saying you were in town a day sooner. Well come inside, boy, and tell me everything. Chester will you take Evan’s luggage to his old room?”

“Yes sir, Mr. Callahan.”

Evan eyed his father suspiciously. Tell him everything about what, exactly?

Together they entered through the front entrance, but when Joshua took off down the hallway, Evan had to hurry his pace to keep up.

“I was hoping you would be the one to tell me something,” Evan said, once they entered his father’s study.

Then taking a seat in one of the wingback chairs facing the unlit fireplace, he shifted his body and watched his father pour Brandy into two sifters.

“Oh, you mean why I’ve asked you to come to L.A. and why I’m sending Peter to New York in your place?”

“Yes. You weren’t exactly forthcoming when you summoned me here. Only telling me it was a dire emergency, little more. Are you trying to age me before my time, Dad?”