Chapter Fourteen: Betrayal

Evan searched the grounds to see if Beth had returned, but couldn’t find her anywhere. He wanted to share the news Thad had told him earlier. John Ashford’s ex-wife had confessed to killing him in a jealous rage after a grilling interrogation spurred by an anonymous tip the D.A. received.

The ex-wife wasn’t jealous of Amy Trammel and their affair so much as she was jealous she would no longer be the beneficiary to a billion dollar estate.

Evan spotted his father and Darrin Trammel celebrating the good news, but Beth wasn’t with them. Looking around he saw his mother visiting with Jane Marsh and some other wives to local judges, still no sign of Beth among the group. He started inside to see if he could find her when he heard his name called.

Turning around, he saw Peter heading in his direction.

“Evan, where are you running off to this time? I’ve barely had a chance to speak with you.”

“I know it’s been crazy around here.”

“Tell me about it,” Peter said. “But I miss all of this—the parties, the weather. I miss everything about L.A.”

Evan winged his eyes to one side and then back to Peter. “You’ve only been gone for a few weeks. I hardly think you’ve been desensitized to West Coast living in that short amount of time.”

“What’s with you tonight, Evan? You’ve been acting strange ever since you picked us up from the airport. If this has something to do with me bringing Nikki, without giving you fair warning, then I’m sorry.”

Evan smiled at his clueless brother. “Of course not, I’m glad you brought Nikki, and I’m happy she’s getting married.”

“She wanted to tell you in person, Evan, which I thought was admirable. You should have seen the look on her face when she came by your place expecting to find you, but instead she got me.”

            “All I can say is it’s a good thing she was already engaged.” Evan deliberately narrowed his eyes and then smiled at his brother. “I know I haven’t been very accessible, but I promise to make it up to both of you tomorrow. I’ll take you out for dinner before your flight leaves.”

Evan started looking around again for Beth.

“If you’re looking for Nikki, she’s entertaining herself with Senator Davis. It seems she has an eye for powerful men. That probably explains why she’s marrying a man in politics twice her age.”

Evan was only halfway listening. He had no disillusions about Nikki and her need to climb the social ladder, yet he still considered her a friend. “Peter I have to ask you something,” he said changing the subject. “It’s about Beth.”

“Beth?” Peter looked taken aback by his question. “What about her?”

“Why did you end things with her?”

“I know. You think she’s a great girl and you can’t understand why I let her go. Just like Dad.” Peter let out a long exasperated breath and said, “I wasn’t in love with her, Evan. I mean I do love her, but more like a sister.”

A slow smile crossed Evan's lips. One that Peter’s sharp eyes didn’t miss.

“She’s not in love with me either.” Peter added.

“How do you know?”

“Because she told me not even an hour ago when I was talking to her by the bar,” Peter paused, and then smiled knowingly. “Why the sudden interest in mine and Beth’s feelings toward each other?”