Chapter Four Part II

***

The drive to his parent’s house felt tense, he felt tense. Evan had every intension of making up for the way things had gone earlier at the firm. But when she’d mentioned dating Peter, he felt jealous.

Shifting his body in the driver’s seat, he realized it was the first time he’d felt the sting of the green monster, and once again the feeling of possession hit hard.

The one thing he couldn’t understand—if she was so in love with Peter, then why hadn’t they taken their relationship further. And why for God’s sake had she given him such a precious gift. A man she had just met that night.

He glanced across to the passenger seat at her profile. An instant feeling of pure, undiluted passion rushed through his lower region just looking at her. He turned his attention back to the stretch of road ahead. Maybe she didn’t feel it a gift. Maybe it was a burden. It was no secret Peter preferred his women worldlier in the bedroom department.

There were only two possible explanations for that night. She was either feeling hurt and wanted someone to make her feel wanted. Or else she had felt the same earth-shattering chemistry he had felt and couldn’t stop herself. His gut told him it was the later, and his gut was always right.

But he wasn’t one-hundred percent sure where she was concerned. Now more than ever he wanted to know if she still harbored any deep feelings for Peter, and not just because his father had asked him to.

Taking his eyes from the road, he glanced at her once more. He let his gaze skim  down her long, tanned legs and then back to the road ahead.

Damn, he muttered silently. He had told his father he would befriend her. Explain to her about men who would try and take advantage of her. What would his father say if only he knew the truth?

Pulling up to the gated drive, Evan punched in the security code and waited for the gates to open. When they reached the front of the house, he killed the engine and shifted in his seat to face her. “Can we call a truce?” he asked, giving her a smile. “I think my father would like it if we get along.”

Pushing her sunglasses on top her head, she looked sideways at him with velvety brown eyes set beneath curved dark lashes. “I think we’d better. The last thing we want is for him to find out we’ve already met—or what happened.”

Her voice sounded odd. What had he said wrong this time?

“That wasn’t what I meant. Are you looking for a reason to stay mad at me?”

“No, don’t be ridiculous.”

“Good.” He deliberately leaned across her to open the passenger door. He felt her body give a slight tremble as his arm brushed against her torso. Looking into her wide eyes, he said, “Because I really don’t care who knows the truth about Vegas.”

Pushing the door ajar, he leaned back to his side of the car. He’d never seen anyone jump out of their seat so fast, and his smile deepend.

The chemistry ran high and she could yell all day about their night being nothing more than stupid, reckless abandon, but he knew better, and so did she.

“Beth,” his father called stepping outside the front entrance. “Mary’s in the kitchen, dear. Why don’t you run along and see her while I speak with Evan.”

Stepping from the car, Evan felt a frown wrinkle his brow and he had to wonder what his dad wanted to talk about now. Shoving the keys inside his pocket, he took the steps two at a time.