Chapter Five

Chapter Five: Frustration

Today Beth made up her mind to relax and enjoy the day even if it killed her.

There was no reason to act like a bundle of nerves every time Evan was near. She couldn’t take back the past, so the only thing left to do was deal with the situation in a mature and hopefully indifferent manner.

The dreaded drive home last night had turned out to be surprisingly enjoyable.

Not once did Evan bring up Vegas again, instead he had asked her questions about surfing. Then he walked her to the door like a perfect gentleman. He didn’t try to come inside, or try to kiss her before he left.

If last night was any indication of how the day would go, she should be in for a nice time.

Pulling her hair back into a ponytail, she heard the sound of the doorbell. Glancing at the clock on her nightstand brought a smile to her lips. Just as she suspected, he was early. Was he the type that showed up early everywhere he went, or was he just trying to catch her off guard? Either way she was ready for him.

 Opening the door, she smiled and said, “Good morning, Evan. Are you ready for this?”

            “I can hardly wait.” He returned her smile. Then his gaze slid to the snug rash guard she wore, and farther down to the super short board shorts before finally lingering on the spot of bare skin where the shirt didn’t quite meet the shorts.

“You’re staring at me,” she said as she turned to get her tote.

“I told you, I can’t help it. You look beautiful, by the way.”

Ignoring the tingling sensation, she turned back around with a bright smile on her face and said, “Grab the cooler.”

He looked at the chest resting beside the door and then back to her. “What’s this?”

“Lunch, you didn’t think I would let you starve did you? Joshua would never forgive me if I did.” She pulled the keys to her silver VW bug from her bag and dangled them in the air. “We’re going in my car. It’s a convertible, so let’s load up.”

“There’s no need to take your car, we can go in mine.”

“Your Mercedes won’t hold everything.” She grinned, and then couldn’t resist. “But if you’re afraid you might mess up your hair...”

She watched one corner of his lip tilt upward into a crooked grin. “I don’t know what gave you that idea. But I can assure you, I’m not afraid of anything, least of all messing up my hair.”

“Good to know. After you,” she pointed toward the door when he had the cooler perched in hand, ready to leave.

Hoisting the tote higher on her shoulder, she followed him to the parking garage.

Taking in his posterior, she was relieved to see he was wearing a longer pair of boardies, as well. At least he wasn’t totally clueless about surfing.

From behind she had a great view. Riveted, her eyes absorbed the streamlined contour of his physique. From his broad shoulders to his slim waistline and then farther down to the curve of his calves. She couldn’t deny there was something straight-up sexy about the striation of his hip muscles as he walked.

When they reached her car, he set the cooler down, leaned his head to one side and planted balled fists against his firm waist. “You care to explain to me how this is going to work?”

When she saw the serious expression on his face, she had to laugh. Then throwing her hands in the air, she sculpted the shape of her beetle and said, “It’s a car, Evan. You open the door and step inside. Then I’ll do the same and before you know it, we’ll be on our way.”