Chapter Three Part II

***

The alarm going off startled Beth from a deep sleep...

She slammed the button hard to make the annoying sound stop. Five o’clock in the morning was much too early and came far too soon.

 Stumbling from bed, she padded across the carpeted floors of her tiny apartment and made her way to the kitchen with one eye barely open.

As a part of her morning ritual, she flipped on the light and started the coffee maker. A good, strong jolt of caffeine would hopefully do the trick to wake her up, since she hadn’t slept well the past two nights. Mainly because she couldn’t quit thinking about the man she’d left behind in Vegas, along with a tiny slice of her heart.

A fleeting smile passed across her lips as she slumped against the counter and thought about him. She had flirted with reckless abandon and Evan had reciprocated perfectly. The entire time they had been in the casino he’d kept a possessive arm around her, and when she spoke he hung on to every word, every syllable. He had listened, really listened. A quality she’d never seen in another man before, except for Joshua maybe.

Joshua Callahan listened to everyone, which was one of his traits that made him a successful attorney. There was no doubt that same trait would make him an excellent judge as well.

Looking over at the clock on the stove, Beth moaned outloud. She knew she’d better get a move on if she planned to make the office by seven..

.

Traffic was maddening as usual, but today of all days was not the one to be late. Clutching her attaché, she went to push her key in the front lock, but was surprised to find the door already open. She was even more surprised to see Iris sitting behind the reception desk.

“What are you doing here so early, Iris?”

“Mr. C called everyone in to meet his other son.”

Oh yea, the pompous brother who thought his time was more valuable than that of hers and Melissa’s. “Where is everyone?”

“They're all in the boardroom, except for Mr. C, he’s waiting for you in his office. I’ll phone and let him know you’re on your way up.”

“Thanks,” Beth called over her shoulder as she rushed to the elevators.

Moments later she stood outside Joshua’s doorway smoothing down the black skirt and making certain her white cotton blouse was tucked neatly inside. Standing up straight, she knocked on the door and waited for him to yell come in like he usually did.

But to her surprise, the door swung open.

“Finally!.” Then giving her a friendly hug, Joshua took hold of her hand and pulled her briskly along the corridor toward the boardroom.

What was going on? He was practically running and it was all she could do not to trip in her three inch heels.

Picking up his pace even more, he said, “Everyone’s inside and I can’t wait for you to meet my son, Evan.”

Before she had time to articulate a response, let alone respond, he pushed open the boardroom door and announced, “Evan, I’d like for you to meet Beth Brawley, your new assistant”

“Beth,” Joshua said, pulling her up from the rear. “Meet my son, the brilliant attorney, Evan Callahan.”

Her feet finally stopped alongside those of Joshua. Then trying to catch her breath, she looked up and saw Evan, her Evan. Evan from Vegas Evan seated at the head of the boardroom table.