Chapter Eight Part II

“Callahan’s, Beth speaking. How can I help you?” Beth said as she flung her purse on the desk, just getting back from court.

“Beth Brawley, you don’t know me, but I need your help.”

“Who am I speaking with?” Beth asked, pulling out her legal pad.

“Who I am doesn’t matter, but what I have in my possession does.”

Great another crack head needing an attorney, she thought as she scrambled for a pen.

Stifling a sigh, she said, “Sir, I’m going to transfer you to our receptionist who can put you in touch with an attorney best suited to take your case.”

“I don’t need an attorney, Ms. Brawley. If anything I need protection.”

“Then call the police.”

“I don’t trust the police and I don’t have time to wait around if I value my health.”

Again crack head popped to mind. Not to mention delusional and loony.

“Okay, if you don’t require an attorney, then I’m going to hang up now.”

“Wait. The killers didn’t find what they were looking for because I have it.”

“Have what?”

“Proof of why Ashford may have been killed.”

Beth tensed. “You know who killed Ashford?”

“No, but I have something that certain people want to get their hands on.”

“And what would that be, Mr…?”

“If you want proof, then meet me by the airport.” He spouted out an address to a hotel and then said, “I’ll meet you in the lounge in half an hour, if you’re not there I’m on the next flight out of the country.”

“I’ll be there and I hope for your sake this is on the level.”

“And I hope for your sake, Ms. Brawley, you use this information wisely. Thirty minutes,” was all he said before she heard the buzzing sound of the call disconnecting.

“What was that all about?” Melissa had been passing by her desk, but stopped when she overheard the conversation.

“That was possibly a lead on proving Amy Trammel’s innocence, or guilt one.” Beth reached down and retrieved her purse from beneath the desk. “I’m meeting someone to gather proof.”

“Not by yourself, you’re not. Let me grab my purse and I’ll go with you.”

“No time.” Beth started to run for the elevator, but looked back and said, “I’ll be fine. It’s a public place, so nothing can go wrong. I promise later you and I will go dress shopping for Joshua’s party— on Evan.”

“Evan’s buying us a dress?”

“Yea, with the money he gave me in Vegas. So think of some hot stores we can browse because I want you to look spectacular that night.”

“Why?” Melissa asked suspiciously.

The elevator slid open and Beth stepped inside.  “It’s a surprise. Look I gotta run. The address where I’ll be is written on the pad at my desk.”

***

Walking into the lounge at the quaint inn by the airport was like walking into a dark abyss. There were no windows in the bar and the lighting was low. After coming inside from the bright sunlight, she had to give her eyes a minute to adjust.