Dangerous Assumptions

Jennie's POV

It's been two long years since I last heard of her. It's been two long years since I decided to leave everything behind.. But now I'm back.

I was hoping that after spending two years abroad, I could finally return for a fresh start.. that I have finally moved on from the heartbreak I once faced. I was hoping that I could finally free myself from this lovesick curse, but no. All I needed was a glimpse of her ever so lovely face, then the feeling of betrayal came rushing back in.

"Hi, Jen," Kim Jisoo greeted me with her signature smile. Who would've thought that the very moment I thought I already forgot her, she would happen to cross paths with me. Me, amongst all people in a crowded mall. "Long time no see."

I simply stared at her blankly, not knowing how to react with the sudden meeting. I hate her. I really, really hate her. "That's right. Five years."

"Five long years," she sighed. She avoided my gaze but I was staring into her the entire time, and I wasn't even trying to hide it. I could see how the glitter in her eyes dimmed, she almost looked as if she was in despair.

"It was nice meeting you again, but I need to go." I had to make an excuse and leave before my emotions get the best of me. I suck at these kinds of things, so I just said the first thing that came to my mind. "My girlfriend is waiting for me."

"Oh, of course." The look of disappointment was evident in her eyes, but instead of wondering more about it, I chose to shrug it off. I've always been too confident when it comes to 'reading' her, and look where it got me. "See you around, then."

I turned around and left without looking back. I really wish we won't meet again. I know it sounds harsh, but my heart will never heal if she keeps showing up, specially at the worst timing ever.

***

"Wow.. Fate really has its way with the two of you," Chae said after I told her how I met with Jisoo after a long time.  It's been a few days since I happened to meet Jisoo in the mall, but she never left my mind again since then. I needed to get it off my chest so I called Chae and ranted about my misfortunes. "I really have to meet this girl. I want to see who managed to throw 'the' Jennie Kim off her sanity."

"Don't even." The thought of her face drove me upset once again. "She is a huge nerd with a deadly smile that would kill its prey with one look. She. Is. A. Dork! A sneaky flirt! And a fucking traitor!"

"O-okay, calm down, Jen," Chae chuckled nervously as she took the knife from my grip. We were currently having lunch at a restaurant she owns, but I ended up torturing the innocent steak, instead of actually putting it inside my mouth. "You know, I'm sorry to say this, but she didn't actually betray you. I mean, you two were never in a relationship."

"We kissed!" I slammed the fork on the table, rattling every other utensil on it. Thank goodness Chae closed the resto, or I would've scared her customers away. "She kissed me and we had a fucking pact!"

I ran my fingers through my hair and took a deep breath to control my raging anger. I felt Chae wipe away the single tear that escaped my eye. I really don't want to get emotional again, but every time I think about that day, I just can't help not to feel played.

Five years ago, Jisoo and I had a mutual understanding. I liked her, and she liked me, or at least I assumed she did. I've been waiting for her to ask me out, but before it even happened, she had to go abroad to finish her PhD. However, before she left, we had a deal.. that if both of us were still single after three years, we would date each other. I patiently waited, refused everyone who asked me out, and still waited willingly, thinking that Jisoo was also waiting for me. But boy, was I wrong.