Chapter 18

My gaze flitters from one guy to the other, embarrassed that I was caught in such a situation in front of them. Brody's words slowly register, and I focus on him.

"What happened?" I ask, my voice still slightly shaky from the panic.

Brody pulls the phone out of his pocket, swiping on the screen before turning it to show to me. I reel back when I see my face staring back at me.

"What the hell are you doing?" Colton asks, swatting his arm down so I don't have to look at my panic-stricken face anymore.

"I was reflecting it back to her, you know like a mirror." I can't help but let out a small laugh.

"That's not how that works," Ryder tells him. Brody just shrugs, but I still don't get an answer.

"Happy Birthday," I blurt out desperately, frantically going from Ryder to Trystan when I realise that it's not an ideal way for your birthday party to start. "I'm sorry, I-" I start, cutting off when I don't know if I want to tell them. If it were any other meaning I would feel happier about opening up about it, but I don't want to bring it up, afraid that it could cause another. It was hard enough to talk to them about Sophie, but to talk about the night it happened is too much of a stretch for me.

"You don't need to apologize, Bambi," Trystan promises. "Are you OK?"

I swallow, nodding eventually when I feel I actually am. Now I'm out in the fresh air, and it's a lot quieter, the panic has lessened significantly.

Ashton squeezes the wrist he has in one of his hands. "Are you sure? We can leave-" The other guys voice their agreement, and although I'm grateful for them making sure I'm alright, I don't want to ruin their birthday party further.

"I'm fine, honestly." Ashton's gaze doesn't stray from mine for what feels like an age, but he must see that I am honestly feeling better now because he stands. Colton falls onto the seat next to me, sending me one of his signature grins that Colton wouldn't be himself without.

"Brody's got a new boyfriend," he tells me, as Brody himself sits in a chair opposite me.

"I'm just that hard to resist. He saw his chance and took it," Brody agrees, sending a wink in my direction. I glance between them, wondering what joke I'm missing. If there is a joke.

"Or you're just a delinquent. It's kind of hard to tell," Levi joins in on the conversation.

"Look, the bouncer and I have started a sordid affair, and you're just jealous he took a liking to me," Brody responds, resting his leg on the other knee. Storm sits next to Brody, and I see that he's equally confused as I am.

"Or you're a delinquent, like I said," Levi responds.

"What have I missed?" Jesse asks, placing a glass of something fizzy in front of me. I assume that it's cola.

"Brody got frisked on the way in," Trystan offers as an explanation. Ashton gives a glass each to Jesse and Storm before pulling a chair closer to where we're all sitting, and joining us.

"Excuse you, his name is Dave and we're very happy. It wasn't just a "frisk"." I don't know if that's his real name, but I let a laugh all the same.

"When's the wedding?" I ask, and Brody smiles at me.

"See, Bambi gets it. You can be my maid of honor."

My laughter dies out when I see Trystan and Ryder's mother making her way to us. Her eyes assess the group quickly with an almost cruel gaze before she calls out in her fairy-like voice for them.