Chapter 9

Ashton has an electric alarm clock, the kind that holds glowing lines that turn off and off, according to the time. Currently, it's showing the numbers 4, 2, and 1 in that order. The last hour I've been staring at it means that I've become quite accustomed to the green light it lets off into the room. It's really the only light source, apart from the window, and the slowly lightening sky. Tanner's in my mind constantly, not allowing me any reprieve, and every time I even think of closing my eyes, I feel that eyes are on me. It's caused me to sit up straight as a board in the bed, to check that I am not being watched, like my brain keeps telling me.

Sophie is still asleep, and I'm glad that our trip through the night hasn't disrupted her too much. The fact we're with Ashton is probably also helping. I thought it would help me, but although when I look down the foot of the bed on my checks of the room and see Ashton, it doesn't calm me as much as I thought it would.

The green lines now show 4:38 and I sigh. I can't look at the clock the whole night. I sigh and roll over to face Sophie. A small smile comes to my lips at the sight of her innocent face. At the start of the night, I used her as a safety blanket and held onto her as if my life depended on it, but I soon gave up when I started to fidget, not seeming to stay comfortable in positions that previously were.

I place an arm under the pillow, but soon it feels awkward, and I change position. After four more positions, I sit up in bed and just stare through the dark. Maybe going to the loo would help. I try it, the exhaustion in my body agreeing with any idea it has to try to get to sleep. 

I sit on the toilet in the dark, and stare blankly around the room. I didn't dare to put the light on, afraid to wake Ashton or Sophie.

A couple of minutes pass, and I come to the conclusion, when nothing happens, that I don't need to go. I wash my hands, and flush the toilet, all the same, going into autopilot. When I return to the bed, I watch Sophie for a moment, before I'm distracted by the sound of Ashton rising from his make-shift bed, and going into the bathroom. Did I wake him? I feign being asleep, hoping that he doesn't worry about me as a result. This time with my eyes closed, and focussing on the sounds of Ashton leaving the bathroom, I don't see Terry, Tanner or Jack. I stay perfectly still as Ashton moves past the bed. He pauses in his step, and I feel him trail his fingers over my cheek, pushing a strand of hair away from my eyes, that was annoying me.

I open my eyes to find light seeping in through the window, and raised voices coming from downstairs. It takes me a moment to re-customise myself to my surroundings and remember that I'm at Ashton's. The voices aren't exactly shouting at each other, but they've got enough volume to get their respective points across, yet not enough for me to make out the words that are being exchanged.

I don't remember drifting off, and now looking around the room, I'm confused at the change. I only thought I had closed my eyes for a moment. Ashton is no longer in the room, and the makeshift bed is put away. As if on cue, his voice joins in downstairs, and soon after the voices quieten down considerably. I look around for Sophie and don't see her anywhere, I shoot up in bed, and do another scan of the room. I still don't see her and put two and two together, realising she is probably downstairs. I don't want to venture down there if Ashton and his family are arguing over something, but I also don't want to leave Sophie alone in an unfamiliar environment for too long.

I push myself out of bed, searching for some clothes to change into. Obviously, I don't find any - I didn't dare risk Tanner in fact being in the apartment and going for clothes. I assumed he was, because how else would he have known Sophie and I were there? Hadn't Jesse taken down the cameras?

I resign myself to the fact that I'm going to have to go down and introduce myself to Ashton's family in my pyjamas. I place my arms over my mid-riff, and walk quickly on my tiptoes to the door.