Chapter 19

The car is a bit livelier leaving the party than it was when we arrived. There is still a low hum of music, but it's hard to give it a lot of attention with the chatter from the guys. I sink back into the seat, closing my eyes to take a moment to myself. At the party, I didn't allow myself to feel embarrassed about the fact I had a panic attack at just being there. The guys did a good job of distracting me, and I didn't want to break down once again. Now out of the situation, I feel a lot calmer in certain areas, but a lot worse in others.

A warm hand reached over and squeezes mine. I don't know whether to be relieved that I'm not going through this alone or to be embarrassed that I have to rely on them yet again. I don't want to bring the atmosphere down again, for them and me, so I take a second longer to breathe, and open my eyes. Ashton has his eyes on the road, but when I move position, his eyes flick to me, squeezing my hand once again. I share a smile with him.

He needs his hand back to take a turn, and mine turns cold at the loss. After the turn, he rests his hand between our two seats, and for a moment we just stay like that, both listening to the guys behind us. Ashton joins in, and the guys address me every so often but I'm content just listening. They start to talk about the party and it reminds me that Ashton was the one to be there for me once again. I don't think, and rest my hand on his first aiming to only get his attention.

"Thank you," I tell him. "For helping me when..." I can't quite find the right words. Ashton understands all the same.

"Anytime." Now would be the time that I take my hand back, however, I admit to myself that it does give me some comfort to know he's right there. Ashton doesn't seem to mind and continues to drive with just one hand.

It's not long until we pull onto Ashton's street, the other cars following behind us, creating the appearance of a motorcade.

I hadn't given much thought to how we could all fit into Ashton's small house until now, but Ashton didn't seem too concerned. Ryder and Trystan deserve a better way than this to celebrate their birthday. I didn't ask Ryder how it went with his father, but judging by his expression it wasn't too favourable.

My concerns don't seem to be founded though, because as soon as I meet them when we're all out of the car, they look the happiest I've seen them all day. We make our way through the gate at the front, and I stay there, holding it open for Levi and the rest of the guys. Levi's getting good with the wheelchair, and he luckily gets through without much problem.

Brody is the last through, and he slings an arm around my neck, resting his head on mine.

"Can I expect to see some cute pyjamas for this party?" he asks me, his voice cheery.

"Dude," Jesse calls back. Brody laughs.

"I was joking," he says loud enough for them all to hear. "Whatever you wear is cute," he says quietening, leaning further into me. I'm thankful for the dark hiding the blush that spreads over my face.

The chatter from all of the guys decreases incredibly when we make our way through the door, and they all move around the house silently. It's obvious that it's not their first time here with the way they're moving with ease through the space. I've been staying here long enough to only just know my way around in the dark.

Ashton puts a few lamps on around the room, and some of the guys sit in chairs while the others take the floor. Brody pulls me with him to a space on the couch, and he takes his arm back. I motion to him to take the couch, and he does the same.

"Milady."

"My Lord," I counter, and he grins at me.

"Someone just sit," Storm grumbles from where he's sat on the floor next to a kids table. It looks even smaller in comparison to him, his long legs stretched out in front of him as he rests his head on the arm of the chair Ryder is sitting in. Ryder is in a similar pose. I look around the room and see that they're all exhausted. The same goes for me, and I try and work out why. The pressure of being constantly under scrutiny is probably why I'm feeling like this, and I wonder if the same goes for the others. We didn't get a break from their parents the whole time. I would much rather Brody have the comfortable seat. I can sit on the floor that's not a problem.