ch. 3

"Don't be so nervous, George. They've been asking to meet you all week."

George looked over at Dream, whose reassuring words and heartfelt look did nothing to calm George's nerves. "But, meeting the parents is such a big deal. What if they call us on our bluff? Or worse, they don't like me?"

Dream huffed out a laugh at George's concerns. "You're more worried about them not approving of you than getting kicked out of the country, possibly forever?"

"I don't want our marriage to be a problem."

Dream slowed down the car, coming to a stop at a light that was convenient for this point in the conversation. He turned fully to George, wanting to dissipate any fears he didn't need to have.

"George, listen," Dream said, waiting for the other to meet his eyes, only continuing when George nervously returned his gaze, "I decided to do this, and, I'm prepared to go all in. Even if my family hates you, which they won't, let me emphasize that first of all; I want you to be here and if doing all this is necessary for me to keep you, I'll gladly do it."

The crease in George's brow softened at that, as well as his heart. Dream always brought him comfort, and even more being in his actual presence. George couldn't help the warm smile pull at his lips, deeply enjoying hearing how much Dream wanted him to be there, together, everything he was willing to do for them.

He blew out a slow breath, feeling the nervousness start to subside. Dream was going to be there, and with him, it would turn out okay. "Thanks, Dream," George breathed, as that was all he could say, the words failing him in any attempt to convey how much it meant to him that Dream would go to such lengths to fulfill his wish of moving here.

Dream matched George's smile, it quickly falling from his face as someone honked at him, grumbling obscenities about Florida drivers.

The mood of the drive was much lighter, George trusting in Dream's words, deciding to hope for the best.

After the first meet with the in-laws, which was always the most difficult and nerve-wracking, breaking international laws aside, things were sure to calm down; Dream and George being able to ease into this new normal, and become more accustomed to the perceived suddeness of their fake relationship.

They just needed to get through this initial test, to see if they could suspend the disbelief of Dream's family.

-

"We weren't even told that you guys were together," Dream's mom said, forlorn, casting a reproachful glance at her son, "And, now, you're already married. So, when did you two start dating?"

Dream and George exchanged a look, not preparing those little details in advance.

George let Dream take the wheel on this one, as he's much better at coming up with stuff on the spot.

"It was about a year ago that we made it official," Dream began, trying to make the timeline make sense, "Same date we got married, actually."

"Aww, that's so sweet."

Really, Dream only said that because it would make the date easier to remember, on the off chance they had to talk about this again.

George just smiled and nodded, barely keeping himself from jumping out of his skin when Dream brought an arm around his shoulder, casually bringing them closer together, like a couple would do.

Just for show, George reminded himself, trying with much difficulty to focus on the conversation instead of Dream brushing his fingers on the edge of George's sleeve.

"Oh, are you guys going on a honeymoon?"

Of course, that question. It really would be so weird if they didn't, the trip was inevitable at this point.