Part 9

Turns out that when the timer runs out the CDC will blow up, and now Dr. Jenner has them all locked into the computer room. Daryl is trying to get through the door with an ax, looking at Carol and Sophia occasionally. Carol is sitting on the ground, holding Sophia as both of them sob. Daryl feels like his heart stops when Carol speaks.

"We don't deserve to die like this," Carol chokes out, which makes Daryl way madder than what he already was.

"You're not going to breakthrough. Those doors are built to take an explosion and still stand," Dr. Jenner says.

"You're not," Daryl yells, running at Dr. Jenner with the ax raised, but Rick, Shane, and T-Dog stop him and take his ax.

"Just because you have given up, doesn't mean the rest of us should die too," Dale says.

"You all will eventually," Dr. Jenner says, but he opens the doors anyway. They all run and grab their stuff, then head to the entrance of the CDC, which is still locked down. Daryl grabs his ax back from T-Dog and starts attacking the big windows, and Rick joins him with the other ax.

"We need something stronger," Rick says as both men stop.

"How about this?" Carol asks, pulling a grenade out of her purse.

"Where the fuck did you get that?" Daryl asks.

"I found it when we raided those cars on the freeway. I thought it might be useful," Carol says.

"It will be," Rick says.

"Everyone takes cover," Daryl yells, grabbing Carol and Sophia and running around the corner from the windows. Daryl knew the explosion was going to bring Walkers.

"Carry Sophia and stay close to me," Daryl says quickly to Carol, who nods and puts Sophia on her back. Daryl and Carol move quickly after the explosion. Daryl is right about the Walkers being drawn to the sound, he kills five of them with the ax as they all run to the cars. As they get close to the cars, Daryl grabs Carol and pulls her to his truck.

"But this is your truck," Carol says, stopping beside the truck.

"Damn it, woman. Get the fuck in," Daryl yells, pushing Carol towards the passenger door. Once they all are loaded up in the cars, they all speed out of there, hearing the CDC blow up behind them. Daryl jumps when he feels Carol's headrest on his arm. He can feel her shaking as she sobs.

"What's wrong?" Daryl asks, glancing down at Carol.

"One of our groups stayed behind, and Dale and Andrea almost did. We all almost died back there," Carol says softly.

"But we didn't, and that is all that matters," Daryl says, moving his arm and wrapping it around Carol's shoulder, pulling her closer to him.