Part 14

"Rick, you cannot go. It's too dangerous," Shane's yell brings Daryl back to consciousness.

"I have to go. Daryl needs medicine and a doctor if I can find one," Rick yells back. Daryl is getting mad at them yelling, afraid it will attract Walkers.

"Stop yelling," Daryl means to snap, but it comes out weak and raspy. Daryl opens his eyes to find Rick and Shane looking at him, Rick looking worried and Shane looking pissed off.

"Daryl?" Carol's voice asks softly from beside Daryl's head. Daryl hadn't seen her until she spoke.

"What happened?" Daryl asks, trying to sit up, but Carol stops him.

"Dale doesn't want you moving. You have a bad infection," Carol says.

"That's why I have to go, Shane. We cannot lose anyone else," Rick says.

"What about Merle's pills?" Daryl asks.

"We are running dangerously low on infection pills. T-Dog has an infection, though not as bad as you're but still dangerous," Rick says.

"Normally I would say to forget about getting pills, but ya cannot let T-Dog die. He plays a large role in this group," Daryl says.

"So do you," Carol says quickly.

"I'm going in half an hour. I want to take at least one person with me. I would prefer you, Shane, and I'm also taking Carl," Rick says.

"What? Why Carl? He's only ten, Rick," Shane says.

"I know my own son's age. I also know that if I don't take him, he will try to go off on his own. He needs some time away from his mom," Rick says to Shane before turning to Daryl. "You better still be here when I get back."

"Whatever," Daryl says as Shane and Rick leave. "Where's Sophia? Is she ok?"

"Lori is watching her. I wanted you to be awake before she sees you again," Carol says, moving to sit by Daryl's side.

"Again?" Daryl asks, confused.

"You were unconscious when she first came in, and seeing you so pale and still, scared her. She started crying and saying she had killed you," Carol says. Daryl grabs Carol's hand when he sees the tears in her eyes.

"Let me get a bit more rest, and then ya can bring her in for a while, but please tell her I'm fine and that I'm sorry I scared her," Daryl says, relaxing back into the pillows under him. Daryl slowly lets his eyes flutter closed, but before he falls asleep, he feels Carol's lips press softly to his forehead.

~TIME SKIP~

When Daryl wakes up, he is surprised to see Glenn sitting in a chair beside the bed. Daryl gives Glenn a confused look when Glenn notices he is awake.

"Dale didn't want you to be alone, just in case you got worse again," Glenn says.

"Where is Carol?" Daryl asks.

"She's outside trying to keep Lori calm. Rick, Carl, and Shane have been gone for several hours, and she's freaking out. They should have been back by now." A silence falls on Glenn and Daryl. Daryl starts to doze back off but is awakened by the sound of a truck driving down the road. Daryl sits up and reaches for his crossbow on instinct.

"You probably shouldn't be moving," Glenn says quickly.

"I'm not staying back here when Rick and Shane are gone and the group is in danger," Daryl growls as he stands up. Daryl feels himself sway and is grateful when Glenn grabs a hold of him. They slowly make their way out of the RV.

"Daryl, what are you doing up? You shouldn't be moving around yet," Dale says, helping Glenn help Daryl sit down beside the RV.

"Heard a car," is all Daryl manages to say through labored breathing. Daryl looks around and sees a woman he's never seen watching him. "Who is she?"

"Maggie Greene. She said there was an accident and that Carl was shot. She's taking Lori to her dad's farm," Dale says.

"Can we trust her? Is Carl ok?" Daryl asks, searching for Carol and Sophia. He spots them a little away from Maggie with Lori, who's running around like a chicken with its head chopped off. Daryl jumps when he feels a hand on his forehead.

"You still have an awful high fever," Dale says, kneeling next to Daryl. "Glenn, grab him a blanket, he's shivering."

"I'm fine," Daryl grumbles and watches as the newcomer starts to walk over to where he is sitting. Glenn comes back out of the RV and puts the blanket over his shoulders.

"What's wrong with him?" Maggie asks, making Daryl growl.

"None of yer business," Daryl growls but then breaks into a coughing fit.

"Daryl?" Daryl hears everyone in the group but T-Dog yell.

"How long has he been like this?" Daryl hears Maggie asked as he holds onto Dale's arm tightly, trying to get his coughing to stop.

"A couple of weeks. He was getting better; at least we thought he was. The three you have had gone out to find medicine and help. I'm not a doctor. I can only do so much," Dale says, making Daryl flinch when he reached out to rub Daryl's back.

"What happened to him?" Maggie asks. Daryl tries to glare at Maggie, but he knows his face shows nothing but pain.

"He needs to come with us," Maggie says. When Dale gives her a confused look, Maggie continues. "My dad was a vet. He can help your man. If he doesn't get help soon, he won't make it."

"What good is a vet going to do?" Carol asks, appearing suddenly beside Daryl with Sophia next to her.

"He can save your husband's life," Maggie says.

"He's not my husband," Carol says softly, turning away. Daryl is surprised to see a blush on Carol's face as she turns away.

"Carol," Daryl gasps out. Daryl feels himself start to lose consciousness and grabs a hold of Glenn and Dale, who are on either side of him.

"Daryl?" Glenn stammers, surprised by Daryl grabbing him.

"Daryl!" Daryl hears several people yell as he falls forward and into Glenn and Dale's arms.