Part 19

Daryl wakes to the sound of a soft knock on the door the next morning. He smiles when he sees Sophia and Carol still fast asleep beside him. There is another knock at the door followed by a scared-sounding voice saying his name.

"What do you need, Glenn?" Daryl says softly, not wanting to wake his girls up.

"Breakfast is almost done, and Maggie and I have something for you," Glenn replies.

"We will be down in a bit, and I will need to talk to you two on the porch when I get down there," Daryl replies before shaking Carol's shoulder and kissing her on the forehead.

"Wha?" Carol asks, slowly opening her eyes and yawning.

"You are so cute when you do that. Breakfast is almost done, and Sophia needs to shower before getting dressed," Daryl says, noticing the dirt on Sophia's face.

"I'll get her up and ready. Are you going to head on down?" Carol asks, sitting up and watching Daryl grab a change of clothes.

"Yeah, I'm going to head down after I change," Daryl says, kissing Carol on the lips and Sophia on the head before leaving. After Daryl changes and takes care of business, he heads downstairs to find Maggie and Glenn but Hershal stops him.

"Let me see our side quick," he says, pushing Daryl's shirt up. "Looks ok, but you need to be careful. Maggie and Glenn are out on the porch."

"Thank you," Daryl says quickly before heading out to the porch. He spots Glenn and Maggie and walks over to them. "Did you find one?"

"We found a few and wanted the final decision to be yours," Glenn says, handing Daryl a small pouch.

"Thank you," Daryl says, opening the bag and looking through what they had found. He is starting to worry that they did not find one when he gets to the last ring, a simple silver band with a bright blue heart-shaped gem. "It's perfect."

"What's perfect?" Carol's voice says from behind him suddenly. Daryl quickly slips the ring into his shirt pocket and the pouch back into Glenn's hand before turning to Carol.

"The weather today," Daryl easily says. "Why don't we get married this evening?"

"What? But I don't have a dress or shoes or," Carol was stuttering when Hershal interrupts.

"Today is the perfect day, Daryl. Maggie, why don't you show Carol our little present for her," Hershal says. "We can start setting up after breakfast, and have the wedding after lunch."

"That sounds perfect. Is that ok, Carol? I don't want to rush you. If you don't agree, tell me now," Daryl says, grabbing Carol's shoulders and locking eyes with her.

"It is fine. I just hope I can find something to wear," Carol says, reaching up on her tippy toes and kissing Daryl.

"I have just the thing for you, Carol," Maggie says, dragging Carol off.