Part 10

After traveling for about five hours on one of the highways, Daryl is getting cramped. Daryl is thankful when Rick pulls over, making everyone else pull over as well.

"Get off my arm, woman," Daryl says, trying to get his right arm free from Carol.

"What's going on?" Carol asks, waking up startled.

"We're just taking a break. Calm down," Daryl says, opening his door and getting out of his truck. Daryl watches Carol as she wakes Sophia.

"Are you ok? Did you hurt your shoulder?" Carol asks, climbing out the driver's door and almost tripping out if Daryl hadn't caught her.

"Damn woman. Watch what you're doing," Daryl says, flinching when he uses his right arm.

"You did hurt your shoulder," Carol says, panicked.

"I did not. You put it asleep," Daryl says, looking away and feeling embarrassed.

"I'm sorry, Daryl," Carol says, touching Daryl's left shoulder.

"You have no reason to apologize."

"Why did you not wake me up?"

"You looked peaceful," Daryl says, feeling the heat build in his face.

"Five more minutes," Rick's yell interrupts them.

"Do you know how to drive?" Daryl asks suddenly.

"Yes, I do. Why?" Carol asks, watching Sophia and Carl play a little bit away.

"I'm going to ride the bike for a while," Daryl says, jumping into the back of the truck. Carol walks to the back of the truck and gets ready to put down the tailgate for Daryl. "Be careful when you put it down. The driver's side is not screwed on." Daryl ends up helping Carol put it down, and then he grabs his ramp and slides it down. Daryl starts to feel uncomfortable with Carol watching him back the motorcycle off the truck.

"You guys ready to move on?" Rick's voice makes Carol jump and moves behind Daryl.

"Yeah. We're ready," Daryl says. Daryl waits until Rick walks away to continue. "I want you guys to be behind the RV. Get up there and do not leave there." Daryl slides the board back into the truck bed as Carol helps Sophia into the truck. Daryl starts up the motorcycle and rides up beside Rick's car.

"What's wrong?" Rick asks, rolling down his window.

"I would prefer it if you let Carol move up between the RV and T-Dog's car," Daryl says, cutting the engine of Merle's bike.

"Of course," Rick says, stepping out of his car, walking up to T-Dog's car, and talking to T-Dog. Daryl is relieved to see T-Dog start up his car and let Carol in front of him. Carol is now third, in the middle of the line once Daryl pulls to the front. Daryl doesn't like it that they are eventually stuck driving on one of the main highways, which is covered in abandoned cars. The group goes as far as they can, weaving around cars until the road is blocked. Daryl can slip through on the motorcycle while everyone else waits. The group is gathered together when Daryl gets back.

"How bad?" Rick asks.

"It is going to take a few hours to clear it," Daryl says, parking the motorcycle by his truck.

"We have another problem," Glenn said, pointing towards the smoke coming out of the RV engine.

"I told you, I needed apart from that van," Dale says, wiping his hands on an old cloth.

"Check and see if any of the vehicles around here has the part and make it quick. We need to move on. It's not safe here," Rick says. "Daryl, T-Dog, let's start moving these cars and making a path."

"I'll help you guys," Andrea says.

"Ok. Thank you, Andrea. Lori, Carol, you guys should check and see if there is anything of use in these cars," Rick says before turning and walking towards the cars blocking the road. "How many?"

"Six," Daryl says, taking off his coat and tossing it at Carol when he sees her shiver. Daryl can see the question in Carol's eyes. "I'm not going to need it. It would get in the way."

"Are you sure? It's cold today," Carol asks.

"I'm sure. Now put that damn coat on, woman," Daryl says, walking to where the moving party is waiting.

"You guys look like you could use some more manpower," Shane says, walking over and giving Daryl a dirty look.

"The more help, the sooner we get moving again," Rick says, noticing the look between Shane and Daryl. "Andrea you're in charge of turning the tires. Come on, guys." Daryl is put on the passenger side of the trunk with T-Dog at the passenger door, Rick at the driver's side of the trunk, and Shane at the driver's door. It took a while to get the first car moved, and they all freeze when they hear Dale whistle his warning whistle. Daryl grabs his crossbow and looks for Carol, whose five cars are away from him. Daryl starts to move to her, but he sees Carol, Lori, Carl, and Sophia all drop down and moves under cars. Daryl continues to move towards them, but the Walkers beat him to them, and he is forced to turn and go the other way, looking for his hiding place. He looks around a car to see a Walker shuffling towards T-Dog, whose arm is bleeding. Daryl quickly grabs an arrow and shoves it into the Walker's head, killing it. He then makes T-Dog lay down and puts the dead Walker on top of him. The horde of Walkers sweeps past right after Daryl gets a dead body on top of himself.