Part 16

Daryl was confined to rest for two days, which Sophia and Carol kept him company during. On the day Daryl is allowed to move freely, he is walking by the barn when he hears a noise from within it.

"What the hell?" Daryl says as he moves over to the door and finds it locked. Daryl finds a crack in the wall and jumps when he looks in. When he jumps, he trips over a hay bail and falls.

"Fuck!" Daryl yells as he hits the ground and his side begins to throb badly.

"Daryl?" Daryl hears Carol yell as the group comes running over. Carol and Sophia go straight to Daryl while everyone else checks the surroundings.

"What happened?" Rick asks, glancing down at Daryl.

"There's fucking Walkers in the fucking barn," Daryl says through gritted teeth.

"Watch your mouth, boy," Hershal says as he kneels next to Daryl.

"Why the fuck should I? You have fucking Walkers mere feet from your house, where your family is," Daryl growls as Hershal checks his side.

"That is none of your business," Hershal says as he stands up.

"None of our business? Our kids and family are just a few feet away," Daryl growls out.

"The barn is secure," Hershal says as he walks away.

"Secure? Wood is never secure for long" Daryl says, standing up and pulling Carol and Sophia to him. A noise from behind makes Daryl turn just in time to see Shane break the door of the barn open. Daryl quickly pushes Carol and Sophia behind him as Shane tosses him a shotgun and Walkers start coming out. The farm is soon filled with loud gunshots as Daryl, Shane, Andrea, T-Dog, and Glenn start shooting Walkers. Once all the Walkers are dead, Daryl throws down the shotgun, picks up a sobbing Sophia, and pulls Carol away from the barn.

"You ok?" Daryl asks Carol once they get back to the tents.

"I'm fine, but I'm worried about Sophia," Carol says, glancing at the now unconscious child in Daryl's arms.

"She'll be ok. She's just spooked," Daryl says, entering their tent and laying Sophia down.

"How's your side?" Carol asks as they both lay down around Sophia.

"It hurts a little from my fall, but I'll be ok," Daryl says.

"What are your feelings for me?" Carol asks after a while of silence.

"What?" Daryl asks, startled.

"What are your feelings for me?"

"I thought that would be obvious." Daryl reaches out and caresses Carol's cheek.

"I want to hear you say it." Carol looks away as a bright blush covers her face.

"Ok. I love you, Carol Peletier. I wish you were my wife, and I wish Sophia was my child. I would marry you if I could."

"Why can you not marry momma, Mr. Dixon?" Sophia asks suddenly.

"Well, little one, there are no preachers, first off. Second off, I'm sure your mom doesn't want to marry someone like me," Daryl says, sadness evident in his voice.

"Do you want to marry Daryl, momma?" Sophia asks.

"Only if you are ok with it," Carol answers, which makes Daryl look at her surprised.

"If we find a way, will you marry each other? I want Mr. Dixon as my dad," Sophia says, glancing from Carol to Daryl. Daryl looks at Carol and mouths marry me. Carol smiles brightly and nods.