10

"...so then, I told her to just drop him. I mean, they guy was a total player. Red flags everywhere."

"Hm."

"But of course, the little bitch just had to go back and see him as if I had said nothing," Asumi said, obviously getting more frustrated. "I mean, it's her funeral, but come on!"

"You shouldn't call your history project partner a bitch. It's going to be a long six weeks if you keep it up."

"Ok, point a, it's the little bitch's fault for dropping all of her stupid emotion baggage on me. And then ignore my help. Point b, if the teacher had just let us pick our teammates, I wouldn't have this problem, because I'd be with you!"

"Mm, would you have been?"

"Yes, because I would have scared off anyone who tried to approach you."

"You probably would have."

"Ugh, what a week. On the plus side, I did start that one show she kept nagging me about. Found some spare time to watch it."

"And?"

"It sucked ass. Like her ability to make smart choices."

"That's harsh."

"No it isn't," she huffed. "Anyways, how was your week."

"Horrible. I was swamped with work all fucking week."

"I feel you. Also, are you really listening?"

"Sure."

"No you aren't."

"Yes I am," I groaned, not in the mood for a petty argument.

"What was I talking about?"

"Science project."

"Close."

"History."

"You got the subject. Try to go for the actual content next time though. The interesting part was the little bitch being a little bitch."

"Ah. Sorry," I chuckled nervously, feeling a little guilty because of my lack of attention. "I just can't listen to people anymore. Sitting through all those classes drove me out of my mind!"

"I feel you girl. Those were torture," she agreed, the line going silent for a moment before she opened her mouth again. "Hey, why don't you call the escort agency again?"

"Asumi!"

"What? It's a perfect means to unwind!"

"I mean, it works great, but this is becoming an addiction. And you're the one at fault."

"Shhh," she hushed. "Just do it. I'll be leaving in five-"

"Dude-"

"Four-"

"I wanted to chat a little with you and stuff."

"Three-"

"Asumi, you can't be serious."

"Two-"

"I'll listen to you rant about your partner all you want."

"One-"

"Asumi, I swear, if you hang up, I will personally-"

"Zero."

"-rip your throat open with my bare hands."

The only answer I received was the dial tone, making me let out a frustrated sigh. I knew she meant well, but I also wanted to spend time with her.