16

I stood there for a moment, completely in shock.

"...Hello, you've reached the XOXO escort agency," repeated the voice hesitantly. "How may I help you?"

"I-"

"Is everything all right?"

"Yes... I'm sorry. I uh- don't want to hire anyone."

A sigh was heard. "Then please don't call again."

"Right. Sorry for wasting your time."

"Yeah, sure. Bye."

"Bye," I said weakly, hanging up.

Why hadn't I thought of that possibility?

The possibility that the person who answered wouldn't be Inoshi.

After all, she was close to Monoma. Of course he would have informed her of the situation. No wonder she didn't pick up.

I stared blankly at my phone, wondering what to do next. I could try calling again, but I was sure she wouldn't answer my call.

And since Monoma had never given me his number, I had no way of contacting him or Inoshi.

My only means of contact between the two of them and me was the number written on that little blue paper, and they burned that bridge.

Which meant I would never see or hear of them again.

And once again, I allowed myself a moment to let the tears roll. Still, I had gotten attached to our calls and our encounters. What a shame it was all over.

Soon enough, I stopped crying.

It was over. I had to get over it instead of crying like a toddler who wouldn't get that one particular beach Barbie doll with the yellow and blue bathing suit that was never in stock.

So I wiped away my tears and called Asumi.

"Hey hey, you've reached your bestie Asumi! I'm probably napping or out doing something stupid, aha. Please leave a message, and I'll be sure to call you back once I wake up or sober down. Maybe both. Ciao!"

I waited for the dial tone to begin speaking.

"Hey Asumi. Wanna go out tonight or tomorrow or something? I kinda feel like spending time with you. See ya. Love you!"

Once that was all done, I flopped down on my mattress and curled up in my covers, eventually finding comfort in my dreamless sleep.

When I woke up two hours later I felt heavy and my head was about to burst.

I drank a glass of water and checked my phone, only to be disappointed. Asumi still hadn't answered.

I contemplated what to do next. My schedule was free, with the exception of a pile of work waiting to be done. However, that was a problem future me would just have to deal with.

I decided to try to bake a cake, seeing as my diet had been horribly unvaried these past few weeks.

Surprisingly, the cake turned out great, and I allowed myself to eat a slice while watching some old chick flick.

Then I had another.

And another.

That's when Asumi finally chose to call back.

It took all my willpower to grab my phone and answer it without grimacing.

"Hey! What's up? You wanted to do something with me?"

"Yeah, if you're free."

"Eh, I can't tonight. Slick Nick is keeping me busy, if you get my drift."