17

Turns out I could last only a few days.

I was currently rummaging through my trash to find the little blue paper. Sure, my phone saved the number automatically, but it felt more right to call using the paper.

I don't know. It was a feeling.

Having finally found the baby blue post-it, I grabbed my phone and sat on my mattress.

I read the number in the deep blue ink and imputed it into my phone. I stared at the digits. A doubt crept in my mind as I began to have second thoughts about all of this.

Maybe I should consult Asumi first.

Maybe she could prevent me from making a horrible mistake. He did ask me to never call him again, after all.

But maybe this could provide me with the closure I needed. Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Plus, Asumi would probably tell me to go for it.

Having made up my mind about it, I pressed the call button and brought the phone up to my ear.

I heard the caller tone three times before being picked up.

When the person answered, I heard them take a deep breath and didn't quite speak right away.

Then, the most wonderful voice I've ever heard in my entire life spoke, sounding a little hesitant.

"Hello, you've reached the XOXO escort agency. How may I help you?"

Words couldn't describe how happy I felt when I heard Inoshi's voice.

"Um... I'm looking to hire an escort."

"Y/n, don't sound so distant. The least you could do is to say hello."

Smiling widely at that, I changed my intonation completely. "Hey Inoshi. How have you been?"

"Not bad at all! How about you?" she said cheerfully.

"I've been doing good."

Before I could add anything, Inoshi spoke again. "Really? That's good. Anything new going on?"

"Not particularly. I'm moving out of my apartment, so that's pretty big."

"That's interesting! I hope everything goes well."

"Me too. So about that escort-"

"Right. I think I can guess who you want to hire."

"Yeah, I suppose you can."

"Look," she sighed. "Technically, he told me that if you ever called again, I shouldn't even pick up, much less refer you to him."

"Yeah, so he said."

"It's not that I don't want you to hire him, it's that he doesn't want to be hired."

"I understand. So does that mean you won't put in the request?"

"Nothing's stopping me from doing that," she scoffed. "I just want you to know that there's a big chance he won't see you. And his decision is absolute. If he doesn't want to see you, that's that."

"Of course."

"Let me just fill in your information..." she trailed off, clicking noises being heard in the background.

"You still remember?"

She chuckled. "Of course. You were something of interest. I memorized it without even realizing it."

"Ah," I said dumbly, wondering if that was a compliment or not.

"Ok, your info is in. I'm sending the request now."