Chapter Seven - Awkwardness

You left Barney's house with thoughts racing through your head.
"What just happened?! Barney kissed me! Maybe I have started to like him a little bit, but, what?! Maybe I'll just see if he says anything about it tomorrow. If he doesn't... maybe I will? I hope that kiss meant something to him and it wasn't just genuine. Certainly didn't feel that way..."

After you left, Barney was standing still, shocked.
"Why did you kiss Y/N?" Ted asked. It took Barney a little bit to answer, but he did,
"I don't know." He replied.
"I take it you like her." Marshall said.
"Maybe more..." Barney said, going toward his friends.
"Ooo!" Penny chimed in. Everyone chuckled and looked at her. She gave Barney a wink which made him smile.
"I think I love her as much as I love Ellie." Barney said.
"Ask her out again! Ask her to be your girlfriend!" Lily pipped.
"It's too soon." Barney said.
"Yeah, and it's not too soon to kiss her?" Marshall said.
"That was an automatic thing for my body to do." Barney said. That was officially the worst lie he had ever told.
"Yeah right!" Said Lily.
"Do it, man! Tell her how you feel! Maybe she's "the one" for you." Ted cheered.
"I don't have a "the one", Ted. Don't you get that? I'm meant for the single life. Robin and K didn't work out so that was the biggest sign. I'll never get what you and Tracy have or what Marshall and Lily have." Barney explained.
"You definitely weren't meant for fatherhood but here you are now!" Tracy said, half joking. "If you give being a boyfriend a shot again, I think it will last because you've changed since Ellie stepped into your life." She said, more seriously.
"Ellie can't walk?" Barney said, confused. Tracy sighed as she let her head down.
"Point is, don't give up on her if you really love her." Ted said, simply.
"Yeah... Okay. Thanks guys!"
"We should get going now. See you!" Lily said. Everyone (except for Barney) followed suit leaving the apartment.

After his friends, Penny and Luke left, Barney lounged on his couch and watched Star Wars.

***
"And kids, that's the story of how your Uncle Barney became normal." Ted joked and concluded to his kids.
"He's normal?" Luke questioned.
"You're right, bad joke. Anyway," Ted said.

***
The next morning, you woke up with butterflies in your stomach. You got in the cab with Ellie and her baby stuff. You gave the driver Barney's address and looked out the window as you were going there.

Once you got there, the butterflies built up more in your stomach. You knocked on the door and almost a second later, Barney answered. Seeing him made your heart skip a beat and gasp for breath.
"H-Hi. Here." You handed Ellie over into Barney's arms.
"I love you." Barney said straight up, looking at you in the eyes. You looked deep into his pretty ocean eyes for a minute. You were speechless. You took yourself out of what felt like invisible chains connecting your eye contact and placed the baby bag on the ground.
"See you in two days..." You said, quietly leaving.
"Y/N wait!" Barney called after you. You turned around.
"Want to go on a date? Perhaps tomorrow night?" He asked.
"Sure." You replied. You realized that your heart was going to do all the talking, not your mind.
"I'll pick you up at seven." He said, smiling. You smiled back.
"Can't wait!" You exclaimed. To be honest, it was a little awkward but manageable. You were super excited for your date tomorrow night.