the first chapter - in that big city

context: 
// Halmuni - the Korean term for grandmother
// Bella's a female beagle who lives in wayv's dorm
// longer chaps otw i promise

the noise around me was deafening, as though the opening scene of a movie.

I sat alone in the crowded waiting room, discreetly reading the short letter I picked up from my aunts' this morning. My suitcase stood on my left, an untouched book on my right to save my managers' seat. The book was heavy - a 5 inch thick guide to Mandarin - so that in the time my manager lifts it, I can hide my letter in my pocket.

The letter I held in my hands was delivered to my aunts' home in Daegu last weekend, where I stopped by this morning on a weekly pick up of what she thinks is 'fanmail', and a goodbye. In a few hours, I'll be back in my hometown: Beijing, China.

For 2 years I wasn't able to come, because covid started going around. The last time I was here is the same reason as my current visit- to be on 'keep running.' I was happy that we were still able to do the show, even during lockdown. I could see my old friends again, and was still able to communicate with my pen pal.

"Luca,

I sit alone at the airport as i write this, reading the letter u sent last week. Thanks again for agreeing to send your letters all the way to China. I'm not sure how long my grandma is gonna be sick, but i'm happy that through our convos I can find some happiness and comfort.

The plane boards from Seoul in half an hour, and when it does I'll look down and wonder where in that huge city you're in, and I'll imagine how you look and what you like, other than what you've told me before. I'll look at all the city lights and just know that somewhere out there is you. How's Bella by the way? I'm sorry she got sick but so glad she was able to go to the vet! I'm about to board the plane with my dad; scared it's gonna be late. A lot of planes have been delayed recently :(. Well, thanks for wishing a safe flight! Til next time,

x, daisy"

I wrote the last words on my letter and stuck it back in an envelope deep in my bag, praying my manager wouldn't find it. This will be the first letter I'll send when I land in China, and it begins our overseas exchange. For two months we've been writing each other in Korean, and because of a "sick halmuni" I asked my penpal to deliver the letters to a Chinese address, specifically the apartment rented out for the 'keep running' cast. I had a lot of chances for said penpal to find out my identity, so I have to try to be as discreet as possible. Fingers crossed and we'd never have to meet in real life.

★ thanks for waiting,,, i wish i could publish all the chaps i wrote so far so u cld mass read but i hope the book leaves a longer-lasting feeling of contentment. chap two in two weeks, promise!! take care, x maria