Chapter five

CHAPTER FIVE: the uninvited

┏━━━┛ 𝗔𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝘀𝗮𝘆 ┗━━━┓

XAVIER MACKENZIE WALKED INTO HIS CLASSROOM, DROPPING HIS BACKPACK TO THE FLOOR.

"Xavier," The blond-haired boy turned at his name.  Eric Matthews, who stood behind him with a wide smile.

"Eric," Xavier greeted, smiling too but was confused as to why Eric was speaking to him. "What's up?"

"Oh," Eric shook his head, quitting his staring at the other boy, who didn't seem to notice how long or the way Eric looked at him. "Uh, nothing. You?"

Xavier shrugged. "The usual."

"Cool," Eric said, a hand reaching out and him placing it on the desk beside him. "so, you doing-"

The bell rang, and Xavier looked over his shoulder.  "You were saying?"

Eric shook his head, sitting back down in his seat. Xavier looked at him confused but then took his seat.

┏━━━┛ 𝗔𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝘀𝗮𝘆 ┗━━━┓

"Xavier," a voice called, making the boy jump, placing a hand over his chest. "Wow, didn't mean to scare you."

"Mr. Turner." Xavier laughed, "Gonna give people a heart attack that way."

Turner examined the boy, lifting his hand and gesturing to the still-healing black eye. "What happened there?"

"Got into a fight. Shocking, right?" Xavier joked, smiling at the older man.

"You get into a not of those?"

"Only with the very, dear, and special people to me." He sarcastically smiled.

┏━━━┛ 𝗔𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝘀𝗮𝘆 ┗━━━┓

Xavier sat at a table, rolling his eyes when he heard Harley threaten a kid about carving his initials into his head. "Why exactly," he said, walking up to Turner. "is Harley-" he pointed over to him. "not in jail?"

Turner laughed. Then, both turned when Carey bumped into the table. "Hey, Matthews."

"Oh," the boy said, looking back at Harley, who walked the opposite way. "Hey, Mr. Turner, Xavier. What are you doing here?"