CHAPTER 16

"ANICA!" TAWAG ng pamilyar na boses kaya agad napaatras si Dolion. They both turned their attention to the one whom called.

Hindi maipinta ang mukha ni Narxixius sa nakita. His jaw clinched in anger when he saw Dolion almost kissing Anica. He took big steps closer to Dolion and attempted to punch him.

"N, stop! What are you doing?" sigaw ni Anica at pumagitna sa dalawa. Dolion was unfazed. He didn't care even Narxixius is holding him on his collar.

"He's trying to harass you, is he?" pambibintang nito na ikinanganga ni Anica.

"No! Bitawan mo nga si Dolion, N!" Anica tried to get off Narxixius' hands in Dolion's collar but it was too tight.

"He tried to kiss you, and that's a form of-"

"No! It's not harassment because I'm letting him to, Narxi! Stop it, let him go, please." Anica plead and sighed. Napakamot sya sa ulo nya dahil sa frustasyon. Narxixius let go of Dolion with a frowning face.

"W-What?" Narxixius asked as if he's asking for clarification of what Anica said. Anica deeply sighed and bit her lower lip.

“Pumasok na tayo.”

“No, Nic. Tell me—”

“Why are you being territorial like there's something between us, N?” Sigaw ni Anica kaya't natahimik ang dalawang lalaki. Nang ibaling ni Anica ang tingin sa likod nya ay andun ang tatlo nilang kasama. It looks like Meghan and the twins was there for awhile already. Anica sighed again in frustration.

“We've been here for a while. We heard everything.”  Jairus hissed and Anica avoided their gazes. Naglakad sya papasok sa hideout nila na walang imik at dumeretso.

“Anica, ano ba iyon? What did we hea—”

“We've found a lead about what happened in the fire. Nakausap namin ang vice mayor at may sinabi s'yang malaki ang tulong sa atin.”

Anica plugged her phone and USB on the laptop and saved the sound recording on the USB for security. Then, she played the recording.

“About the fire incident strike in Kampana Orphanage at 2008. Particularly, that day was the day after Governor Hendri Valenzuela was announced to be the governor of Baguio. Is there any connections with that?”

“Hmm...”

“Before I answer that, I just wanna ask why does that old incident peeks your interest?”

Kaibigan ko ang isa sa mga biktima ng sunog.”

“Okay! Hindi ko talaga masasagot ang tanong mo pero para sa akin ay oo. I maybe part of the party list of the governor but I have no part in their alliance with the Mayor and the other officials. They just granted me the position. Though, you must know that the governor took part in the orphanage and I was with him all throughout. And, I know he have been wanting to be a Governor but that only came true when he had alliance with Mayor Josef Strauss. They've been implementing plans together without me.”

Bago ang deklarasyon ng panalo, napag-usapan nila ang tungkol sa relokasyon daw ng bahay amponan, iyon lang alam ko—”

Bago pa man matapos yun ay biglang pinatigil ni Jayla ang recording at matiim na tiningnan si Anica.

“Anica, don't deprive the topic. Ano ba iyong nangyari sa labas?” tanong ni Jayla kay Anica.

“Ano ba ang mas importante sayo? Makisawsaw tungkol doon o itong kasong matagal na nating hinahangad na maresulba? Anica asked calmly.

“Alam mo sagot dyan, Nic. Pero gusto lang naman naming malaman kung bakit ganoon—”

“Let me explain what happ—” Dolion tried to butt in on the conversation but Anica cuts him off.

“You don't need to explain. It's not your responsibility to clean something you didn't messed up.”

“It will never be our responsibility to explain ourselves to people who aren't even involved to the situation we are in. They won't understand unless they're on our shoes.”

“Nic!” galit na asik ni Jayla sa narinig galing kay Anica.

“Jayla, stop it. Focus muna tayo sa case.” mahinahong sambit naman ni Jairus.

“Fine.”

“So, the mayor and the governor has something to do with this?  Having their own agenda, excluding the vice mayor? Is that it?” Jairus asked and Anica nodded twice. 

“That means, we need to investigate Mayor and the governor.” He added.

“But why? Why would the mayor and the governor do that to the orphanage? To the innocent child? To us?” Anica whispered.

“Why not? Politicians do their things.” Meghan answered. “This Mayor Gayell Matesse...”

Everyone turned to Meghan.

“He's weird. He shows himself rarely in conferences, events, interviews, the one who's always present is his secretary. He was only 34 years old when he's elected. People says he has no family too. And this governor? He was once nothing. Noong eleksyon na iyon ay hirap syang manalo dahil si ex-vice mayor Rob and kalaban nya noon, akala nga ng dad ko na si Sir Rob ang mananalo dahil lagpas kalahati ng Baguio ang siguradong kuha nya ang boto.”

“Pero paanong si Gayell ang mayor ngayon? Paano?” Jayla asked.

“That's what we need to find out.”

HALATA SA mukha ni Anica ang pagod at napansin ito ni Dolion kanina pa. Gusto nya itong pangitiin ngunit di nya alam pano lalo na't nagkainitan kanina dahil sa kanya. He don't have any face to talk about it.

“Do you want to eat? You look so exhausted. I'll treat you then, ihahatid kita sa apartment mo after.”

“No, gusto ko umuwi na muna, Dolion. Wala akong gana.” matamlay nitong sagot at tumango lang si Dolion.

He drove her to her apartment and walked her to her block. They were all silent and that bothers him so much but he can't complain because he knows how exhausted Anica is.

“Pahinga ka kaagad.” bilin nya rito at tumango naman si Anica.

“Kung may kailangan ka, tawagan mo lang ako, pupunta ako kaagad. Kung kailangan mo ako sabihin mo lang, dadating agad ako.”

Anica lamely smiled and nodded multiple times, “Salamat, Dolion!”

“I owe you much.” she hissed and he shook his head.

“No you don't.”

“Yes I do. I owe you too much, that includes your feelings.” she answered. That make Dolion frown.

“You're not obligated to feel sorry about it. It's my feelings. Don't worry, about anything. Don't worry about my feelings for you, it'll stay even if you say you don't want it.”

Dolion took one step closer to her then kisses her forehead.

“Pasok na. Magpahinga ka na, Nica.”

“Mag ingat ka pauwi.”

FAITH
•|| fairyf8tales ||•