~ Chapter Six ~

Martin's point of view:
Two weeks later...

The chill of cold November winds had set in a few days ago. Although I never had a bad day despite the cold weather. I was either with Lawrence or Juliet, either way it was fantastic. Lawrence was studious, adventurous and positive. He talked about all the places he wanted to go before he died and how he was so glad he could bring Juliet with him now that she was finished with school. Talking to him was not only easy but entertaining and extremely perplexing.

And Juliet, who could ever forget about her? She was beautiful, exciting, happy and just as worldly as her father was. All she ever did was smile. There was never a day that she was upset or in a bad mood. Every time I woke up in the morning and saw her sitting at the dining room table sipping coffee, she was happy. And every time I saw her at night, sipping tea by the fire place and reading a book, her eyes were elated. I was so enticed by her that all I wanted to do was follow her around like a lost puppy.

Now, Lawrence was working and Juliet had gone down to the indoor swimming pool she and her father had in the house. I was sitting the study and reading one of their books. I had taken quite fondly to Marquis de Sade. Just the way he wrote was truly fascinating, even his libertine sexuality that was reflected in the writing. I had begun to read 120 Days of Sodom, which was rather vulgar but entertaining despite it. Juliet was actually the one to show it to me, saying it was a good read that I shouldn't miss out on. Generally, I had accepted the recommendation. And I had all the time in the world, I was sure reading was a good way to spend it.

The day seemed quite relaxed until a knock sounded from the door. I went to answer it, not thinking about who could be behind the door. When I opened it up, it wasn't anyone bad. But it definitely shot a bullet of surprise in my chest, making my eyes widen and my body tense up. He was standing there, in the entrance, breathing with a strained pant. A makeshift sling was on his arm, a large bloodstain in the middle of the off-white fabric. His hair was shaggy and messy around his head, his face unshaven and a faint beard beginning to show itself. I couldn't believe it was him, standing there, and I never thought I'd see him again.

"Carl?!" I exclaimed. His eyes were wide and he had a similar reaction to mine. He didn't know I was going to be here, standing in front of him.

"Martin, what are you doing here?!" He asked frantically. I didn't know to tell him any of this, how to explain to him that I had fostered a new life here and I was finished with Germany. How was he going to react to that? It couldn't be good, I knew that.

"It doesn't matter. You look like death. Come inside, I'll get Juliet," I said as I led him inside the house. I sat him down on the armchair that sat in the foyer. I told him to wait as I ran down the stairs to the lowest level of the house that contained the pool. I went downstairs and saw her in the water, standing on the lowest step that lead into the whole pool. Her hair was slick and soaked along her head, pulled back so much that it made her eyes pop even more than they usually did. The little droplets of water on her skin made her look like a beautiful siren, waiting to lure her next victim into the depths of her oceanic home. It was so difficult to not get distracted by her, but I knew Carl was upstairs.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Come upstairs. My friend Carl, I have not seen him since I crashed. He's hurt and you have to help," I said to her. She nodded and went to grab her towel as she followed me up the stairs. Juliet wrapped the towel around her body, covering the pink floral swimsuit she wore. Carl was still seated in the chair when we arrived back, but when he saw her he stopped. I guess I wasn't the only who thought she was impossibly beautiful.

"My name is Juliet Rennoll. You are Carl Steuban, yes? Martin has told me about you," she said to him as she leaned on the floor to face him in front of the chair. He nodded and took a deep breathe, as if he was struggling to answer.