~ Chapter Eight ~

Warning: This chapter is somewhat mature. Note that it isn't terribly explicit, but there are implications.

Juliet's point of view:

Two weeks had passed since the Jewish Americans had come to stay with us. We had a full house now, with all of our extra bedrooms filled. I actually didn't mind it at all, seeing as it was nice to hear the stories of their lives in the states. I had always wanted to go there and see what America was like. It was always interesting to know what they did with their lives then. All three of them came from Green Bay, Wisconsin and had gone to school together all their lives. They bonded over a love for travel and a want to fight for what's right, and the fact that all three of them were the only Jewish children in their class.

Brand was the leader of the group for the most part. He was a little forceful and aggressive but his heart was in the right place at all times. He had no wife or child but his two sisters were taking care of his house while he was gone. He was frightfully close with them and had talked of how he almost killed a man who tried to hurt his oldest one, Libby. This had made me find him a little bit intimidating at first, but I came to find he was a kind man and was extremely chivalrous. No, he wasn't trying to flirt. He maintained his boundaries and he also knew I was involved with Martin. He was just a very good man with a hard outer shell.

Eli and Brand had formed a friendship early on when they were five years old and had just started school. Eli wanted to travel and that was all he wanted. He had no wife or children either, always saying he would rather watch the stars in the fields of Africa or traverse in the jungles of the Amazon. He was just like a younger version of my father. He was eccentric and loved the idea of a good treasure hunt or mystery to solve. Him and my father bonded over everything they could think of, and Eli was excited about the temple my father had planned on excavating. Although most of us didn't think we would find it, Eli and my father thought differently.

King, contrary to his name, was almost like a third in command. He hadn't been friends with them as long as Eli and Brand had, so he remained a little in the shadows. However I had taken quite a liking to him because he was one of the friendliest men I had ever met. He was so imaginative and always very obliging. He let me talk about whatever I wanted, even Martin. King told me he liked to talk with me because I inspired him. King was a writer by profession and took a year off to travel with Brand and Eli for a few months. He wrote novels and editorial reviews on mostly movies. He said his next book was going to be an adventure one, where I was the main character. I found it intriguing. No one had ever written about me before. I had read a little of what he had with him and he was a fantastic writer. I couldn't wait to see how this next book turned out.

"Well, I'm going to take a bath and then turn in. I'll see you all in the morning," I said after reading and talking in the parlour with everyone. I placed the book down and stood from the chair I was sitting in. All of the men stood to see me off, and I found it extremely courteous of them.

"Goodnight, Juliet," Brand said.

"Sleep well," King said to me as he took my hand and squeezed it before he let go.

"Yes, you have a good night," Eli said. I smiled and hugged my father goodnight. He said for me to get a good rest and that he loved me. I eyed Martin as I began to leave the room. I was trying to signal for him to come up with me a little later. He said goodnight as if this time would be the last he'd see of me for the night. I went upstairs to find he wasn't following, but I knew he would come up later.

I ran the bathtub full of warm water at the exact temperature that I liked it. I took off my dress and climbed in to feel the water sink into my skin. I divulged in its warmed feeling, loving the touch of the water hydrate my whole body. I loved getting into the bath after a long day, how your muscles relax and your body becomes so at ease you feel like your flying weightless in the skies. As I sat in the water, my eyes shut as if on impulse. Sometimes I wondered why I hadn't fallen asleep in the tub yet. The quiet was so overwhelmingly peaceful it was hard not to dose off.