➸ vii

•꧁❝𝘛𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘣𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘯 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘣𝘰𝘵𝘩 𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘴

꧁❝𝘛𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘣𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘯 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘣𝘰𝘵𝘩 𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘴.❞꧂

After that day they all went to the cave for the meetings, it was as if the secret society brought them closer to each other then ever before.

Girls in Welton never left the mouths of Meeks and Pitts, seeing them all around Welton was different, odd even, for Charlie always being used to guys.

"Hey!" It was Gloria. Charlie sat outside, she sat next to him with a smile on her face.

"Hey Gloria." He smiled back, Gloria blushed as she looked into Charlie's eyes.

"Why are you out here, all alone. Where are your friends?" She asked and Charlie shrugged.

"Probably inside doing some studying for a trig exam that's coming up soon." Charlie explained and she nodded.

"I like it at Welton, it's different from my other school, a good different." She said nodding.

"Glad you like it. Have any plans on what you want to do later? Like, after school is over and all." Charlie asked and she shrugged.

"My dad wants to marry me off to one of his friends son. I don't know him very well." Gloria sighed. "I wouldn't appose, that's if I didn't already love someone else..."

"Tell me about it. My father always wants to dictate what I do, who I'm dating, it's annoying and sometimes I wish he'd let me live." Charlie complained.

"Charlie." Gloria whispered looking at him.

"Yes?" He said back, she stared in the distance for a couple of seconds.

"Why is it so hard? Being in love? Why are there so many rules?" Gloria asked. Charlie stayed quiet.

Charlie never wanted to admit how he felt, he hated the idea that he had to open up to someone. Gloria stood up after a while and smiled at him.

"I have to go, my friend is waiting for me." She smiled waving goodbye and walking away.

Charlie sat there for a fee minutes more. He thought about her question, why was love so hard?

He didn't know the answer and maybe he'll never know why it was so hard to be in love with another person.

Charlie never liked anyone before, he never thought about anyone in anyway other then friendly.

But deep down, Charlie did figure something out for himself. What was love? What does love do to a person? Why did Charlie find a certain group attractive but not another?

Charlie stood up as he pondered he walked inside, mindlessly walking.

"Charlie?" Knox said standing in front of him. This cut Charlie's thoughts off as he stared at his tall friend.

"Oh, hey Knox." He grinned and Knox smiled.

"You alright? You're like a zombie walking the halls." Knox joked and Charlie shrugged.

"I was just thinking about something." He confessed and Knox raised an eyebrow as they walked together.

"What about?" Knox asked, Charlie hesitated for a few minutes before telling Knox.

"Someone just asked me, why is love complicated." Charlie confessed. There was silence, Knox thought about it.

Knox had never had difficulties expressing his thoughts, he was a romantic.

Lately he had been feeling different, something he couldn't explain. Throughout the past few weeks the society had began Knox and Charlie began to get close. Very close, Knox thought of it as a friendship getting closer but the more he spent time with Charlie the more the feelings got stronger...

••• F L A S H B A C K ••• Knox's POV •••

Charlie and I were in the library again, Charlie hated trig and choose to tune out the entire class.

"Charlie, pay attention." I said waving my hand in front of him zoning him back in. He scoffed and looked at the book again.

"I'm really trying Knox. Trig is just so pointless. I just want to drop out of school, do something else with my life." Charlie complained.

"See, we have to pass or we'll be kicked out." I said back. "Please, here I'll repeat what I just said."

I began to re explain what I had already explained. I could tell Charlie was struggling to stay focused as I explained a problem.

My heart beat faster as Charlie's hand brushed against mine for a second. I looked at him as saw he was sulking looking at the page.

"This is pointless, I'll never understand what it's saying. I need a break." Charlie said standing up.

"Sit down Charlie. I'll explain again and again until you understand what I'm saying." I said as he groaned but sat back down.

•••

Charlie and I sat in his bedroom, Cameron wasn't there. Charlie sat on his desk chair spinning around bored out of his mind.

I laid on his bed, a book in my hand as I beard him groan out of boredom.

"Charlie." I said as he shut up.

"Knox, why can't we do something. Like go outside? We can play ball!" Charlie said standing up.

"Charlie, we can't get out." I reminded him as he rolled his eyes sitting back down.

I smiled at his annoyed face before sitting up and walking next to him pulling Cameron's desk chair close to him.

"We could play a card game." I smiled and he groaned. "It's the best we can do Charles."

"Fine. Let's play a stupid card game."

•••

"Knox?" Charlie whispered, I hummed in response.

"I don't understand this frase on Latin, translate it, yeah?" He asked and I walked over to him. His hand once again brushed against mine as my heart began to beat faster, I felt my face heat up.

"Yeah, that just means restroom." I said, I was almost certain I was wrong.

"Really?" He asked looking at the page again slamming his head on the pages.

"Sorry, ask Meeks, he aced Latin." I said going back to my Chem textbook.

"Meeks doesn't want to help me, he thinks I'm a lost cause." Charlie muttered closing the book.

••• E N D ••• 3rd person POV •••

It was hard to believe that in just a few interactions (mostly Charlie whining about homework) Knox would catch feelings.

He of course didn't know what it meant and tried to get rid of them, Charlie was always flirty with girls and Knox was certain he wouldn't fall in love with a boy.