Chapter Eight

(Did I write a full chapter on Aktemur? ...Yes, yes I did, my love for mysterious side characters is unexplainable.)

They both flip out their daggers, at the exact same speed, holding them out to each other's necks. The girl surveyed him for a moment, raising an eyebrow, "Y'know, I can slit your throat right now."

The young man smirked, dark eyes illuminated. "And I could slit yours," "Not if I slit your throat first." The girl shot back, "I could still slit your throat," said the man, nonchalantly, just to try and get on her nerves.

The girl pushed the dagger harder, "Shut up and explain," "I can't shut up and explain." The dark-haired man said with a smirk that soon faded as the girl shoved him back roughly, so his back was against the tree. 

"Explain." "Okay, okay, fine," The young man drew back and admitted, "I'm a spy."

The young woman snorted, "Yeah, no duh, I already figured that one out, you idiot."

"If you already know then what do you want me to say?" The man asked, throwing his hands out, incredulously. "I want to know why you're here because I'm a spy!" The girl whispered sharply, "What?" The man whispered back in shock, dark eyes widening. "I'm a spy, you idiot, are you deaf?"

"So, you're a spy? Just like me?" The man asked slowly, to which he got a nod of response. "But, why would they put us both here? Both in positions of power." The young man had been spying for the Turks for quite some time, but he hadn't encountered a situation where both spies were higher up in the Mongol army.

"They must have some reason, right?" The girl said, stepping back and sliding her dagger back into its sheath. The man could re-call the White-Beards asking him if he always worked alone. His response had been simple, he had never needed anyone.

 "Maybe we're supposed to work together?" The man suggested meekly, and the girl looked at him in dismay. "Fine, if it's what we're supposed to do."

As she turned to walk back to the camp, the man called out to her, "Wait!" She turned, raising a sharp eyebrow. "What's your name?" He asked, "You already know my name," She replied slowly and he shook his head. "That's your cover name. What's your real name? Your Turkish name?"

She had no clue why he wanted to know, but seeing his insistence, she replied, "Aynur, it's Aynur."

The man smiled, "I'm Aktemur," "I guess we're going to be partners now?" Aynur asked, and Aktemur grinned, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Yep, Only if you promise not to try to kill me again."

"No promises."

"Mean," Aktemur grumbled as Aynur walked back toward the camp, "Deal with it!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What tribe are you from?" Aktemur asked, bracing his hands against the wood of the tree and pushing himself up. "What's with the 20 questions, Aktemur?" Aynur replied, looking up at where Aktemur was pushing himself up the many branches of the high rising tree.

"I only asked one question," Aktemur huffed, swinging his legs around the branch. "What tribe are you from?" Aynur retorted, making Aktemur frown, "Hey, I asked first." "Well, I'm not answering, so you answer."

Aktemur rolled his eyes, "Kayi, I'm from the Kayi tribe." Aynur raised an eyebrow up at him, "The Kayi Tribe? Ertugrul Gazi's son Osman Bey's tribe?" Aktemur nodded, "Yep," He didn't mention the fact that Osman Bey was his uncle, instead choosing to keep it to himself.

Aktemur scooted down to a lower branch, hanging his lanky legs over it, and leaning back so he was hanging upside down. Aynur took a step back, "You could fall," Aktemur scoffed, "I won't fall."

Aynur smirked at him before reaching and grabbing his arm, with a quick yank, the dark-haired man tumbled down, falling flat on his back on the hard soil. 

"Ow," He groaned, "What was that for? Are you trying to kill me?" "No," Aynur replied smartly, squatting down beside him, "I could start trying though." 

Aktemur's eyes shot open as he sat up, his weight on his elbows, "No thanks."

Aktemur and Aynur had risen to commanders in the Mongol army, both under the same leader. To everyone else, they were more rivals who hated each other, always in competition. As much as they loved to compete against each other, they were still friends, an underlying aspect of their spy duties.

"Alright, "Arch Nemesis," let's go, we've been gone for long enough," Aynur said with a sigh, reaching her hand down to him, but Aktemur waved her off. "You go, I need a minute to die in pain, thanks to you."

Aynur rolled her eyes at him, "Fine, Drama Queen. I'll make sure to let your soldiers know that you fell off a tree." 

"I didn't fall, you made me fall," Aktemur argued, sitting up and facing her. But, Aynur was already walking back, "Whatever makes you feel better!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, Aynur," Aktemur said, stepping into the dimly lit cave, making Aynur look up from her paper. "Hey look, you're not dead yet," Aynur pointed out, making Aktemur laugh, "Nope, not getting rid of me just yet."

"What's up? You look like you've done a lot," Aynur noted, setting the page of information down. "Well, I have," Aktemur replied plopping down beside her. "Osman Bey's children were taken, did you hear about that?"

Aktemur only chuckled, "Yeah, I helped them escape." Aynur turned to him faster than he knew was possible, "You did what?!" Aktemur grinned, "Yep," "Did anyone recognize you?" Aynur asked carefully, sighing in relief as Aktemur shook his head.

"Osman Bey came before I had to reveal myself," "What?!" Aynur yelled again, making Aktemur wince, "Stop yelling at me." "You saw Osman Bey of all people, why wouldn't I be yelling?"

"It's not like it's the first time I've met him," Aktemur added calmly, making Aynur slam her hands down. "Aktemur!" The man winced, scooting away as he laughed, "You're going to break my eardrums, calm down!"

"You, sir, need to explain," Aynur demanded, pointing a finger at him accusingly. Aktemur held his hands up in surrender, "Fine, but don't yell at me, this is going to surprise you even more. What if I told you Osman Bey is actually my uncle?" 

A/N: Damn Aktemur, you're really dropping some bombs here  👀

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Fun Fact, I actually wrote all of this at school during Privilege (Free Period). Writing at school is kinda hard considering people keep trying to read over my shoulder, which I hate. 

Aside from that, My friends and I at school are writing this um... a rather questionable Harry Potter Fanfic... don't ask why, but it's very... interesting. Would you guys want to see it?

Salaam and Have a great day!

-Laraib