Chapter twenty-four

I didn't stop running as I carried the African girl in my arms. Even with my lesser body strength, her light, frail body barely weighed me down. Her skinny arms clung to me, and she sniveled against my shoulder.

It wasn't just the darker Brian chasing me now- it was the pack of creatures coming for me now too. Their speed doubled, but mine slowed. My feet dragged across the grass as i swiveled and turned round tents and trees. My chest burned, and I could hardly breathe. Sweat began to trickle down my cheeks.

It was obvious that I would no longer run, and if I went down, so did the poor girl that I carried. I threw her forward, and collapsed to the ground, and the creatures swarmed me before they even came near her.

I was crouched low, ready to be taken away to oblivion when the creatures dispersed. In fact, it was more than that- they disappeared all together, no warning, no sound.

I was in a haze of confusion at first, but realization took me instead. I squinted through the dark night, and I saw Inga rearranging the circle of spices around the camp.

"Zhere is noffing to see," Inga yelled, as she stood. "Go back to tents."

Inga's powerful, booming voice did the trick, because everyone Did not waste any time making their way back to bed. I was one of them.

I walked normally back to the tent, but I was caught off guard when I realized it. I had just saved someone's life and I didn't even think twice about it. I was neither shocked nor proud. I was just going about my business as if nothing happened.

The young African girl slowly got up from the ground, her muscles obviously sore. Me throwing her blatantly hurt her, but she didn't seem to mind. She gave me a slight smile, a thank you for saving her life. That one, quick moment warmed my heart.

"Bailey!" I heard it, Brian's voice. It frightened the hell out of me at first,along me think that that thing was back on my tail. Only when I saw his glittering eyes in the moonlight did I relax.

"Oh God," Brian whispered as he pulled me into his arms. "I can't believe you did that. I thought for sure you were gonna get it."

I knew he was referring to the way I saved that girl's life, and honestly, I didn't need praising. I was thankful that he was just glad I was okay. And I, honestly, felt the same way. I had a sour feeling that our little population has decreased in this dreadful night.
***

The night following the horrific incident proved to be uneventful. Although, Brian had held me closer than usual, as if I would slip away in a heart beat.

Breakfast wasn't much. We had some deer I suppose and other meats that I could not name at the top of my head. Truthfully, I didn't mind it. Food was food, and in these conditions, I was willing to take what I could get.

Brian sat casually next to me, and Inga was always close. It was as if she kept tabs on us, watching us, assuring that we could truly be trusted. Her cold, skeptical eyes were glued to us as she sat across the bow empty fire pit. Her gaze sent shivers down my back.

"Not everyvon made it last night," Inga stated frankly. "Zhere are survivors, but a handful vere taken."

I was speechless, and I dropped a poultry leg of some sort on my pottery plate. I stared up at her, and she just looked at me, calm as can be.

How could she be so relaxed with this? Was she used to it? Did that happen that often? That didn't sound too good.

I cleared my voice nervously. "H-how many?"

"Tventy-two."

I shyly glanced over at Brian, who stopped choking on his food and just stared. "How many were there originally?" He chimed in.