Chapter Twenty-eight

Time passed and I could never concentrate on my teachings. Learning how to fight was plainly too far from my level of expertise and skill. Plus, With Skai's needs and Brian's condition, my mind was too busy to think about such things.

Even with that, my passion for Brian grows constantly. He loved me. I never thought that a man in the face of this Earth would love me, could love me. And the best part was that I truly loved him back.

I stepped carefully over the spice ring that surrounded the camp, praying that I wouldn't disconnect it. I had to move hastily to the water hole and back, for a vizsla or two could be scouting near by. I wasn't going to death alley today.

I kept hold of the bucket that I brought tightly, rushing to the water bank to fill it up. I was concentrated solitarily on my task, but a quick, subtle movement caught my eye. Was it an animal, or was it what I dreaded most.

I quickened my pace, but as I stood from the water hole, I spilled the water all over me, forcing me to begin again. I was running out of time. I worked twice as fast, keeping close aware of my surroundings.

Leaves rustled in front of me. I was definitely not alone. A dark figure or two appeared. I filled the bucket up and practically ran back. I made it over the line, and the figures dissipated.

"Zhat vas close," Inga said, appearing behind me. "But vhy do you need zhe bucket anyways?"

"Skai needs a bath and I can wipe off Brian as well," I answered frankly.

"Vell don't take too long. Vi have practice later zhis afternoon." Inga's eyebrows furrowed as she glared at me.

"Alright alright," I said. "I won't take long."

Inga turned and walked away to attend to other things, other people of the camp, the few that had survived the wolf attack. Inga's work was so much lighter now, a maximum of fifteen left unscathed, twenty injured. The rest were dead, all dead. Few showed up by spell, but that didn't fill the hole.

I gazed at the dirt patches where the graves were dug, just inside the spice barrier on the opposite side of where the water hole was. I placed my hand over my heart in memorial before carrying the bucket over where Skai and her brother were laughing and playing.

"Bath time!" I called out, silencing the two laughing children.

"Amma..." Skai whined in her native language. I could only assume that she was opposing.

"It will be quick. Cmon." I motioned for her to come.

Skai came, and I quickly wiped her off and slipped her dress back on her. "Not so bad, right?"

Skai scrunched her nose, making me giggle.

"Alright, you can go play now."

I watched her skip back to where her brother sat and the laughter erupted once more. It was amusing to see them so happy.

Then, it was Brian's turn. I sighed before making my way slowly towards his tent. I tiptoed inside, but once I saw that he was wide awake, I walked in normally. "Ready for a little bath?" I asked.

"I guess," Brian replied, unsure of himself. "Will it hurt?"

"Maybe a little, I mean... It's kinda hard to not hurt you. But I promise to be gentle." I gave him an unsure smile.

"Well maybe it will help my wounds of they are cleaned up a bit," Brian said.

"Hopefully..." I trailed off before grabbing the rag and dipping it into the cold water.