chapter nine

I felt better now, with the ginger man laying beside me. The creaking wood and spooky hallways seemed more peaceful now that I wasn't alone with Harper.

I shifted to my left,which was at the edge of my bed, but I was for the, most part , lying on my back. My arm rested lightly on the pillow.

Brian slept between us, rolled over on his side and facing me. He was hunched, and almost curved into a ball; his hands supported his slumped head.

Harper, as far as I could tell, was rolled over on her side as well, tugging at her covers and sleepily snoozing.

Brian was quiet, but he was in tranquility. My eyes were still open, and I watched him noiselessly slumber-away. I sighed, and I sank back into the soft mattress.

When I was finally relaxed enough, I slowly drifted off to sleep.

****

I awoke a bit early the next morning, but Harper and Brian had already left the large bedroom. I arose, stretching my muscles and yawning.

I slowly shuffled into the wooden kitchen, meeting Harper who sat at a small round table. She held a large cup of coffee to her lips and sipped slowly.

"Morning," greeted Brian who was pouring a cup of his own. I casually waved to both of them.

Harper just gave a slight nod to my existence, for she was preoccupied with her hot drink.

"Want one?" Asked Brian.

"Uh, yeah...sure." I was still nervous around him.

"I hope the creeps didn't get you again this morning," Brian joked.

I remained silent, lightly tip toeing to the chair next to Harper. I looked away from Brian.

The ginger just continued to fix up his coffee, plopping a spoonful of sugar into the cup. His eyes remained on me as he swigged down a gulp.

When I didn't reply, Brian set down his coffee. He sighed, "Look, I'm sorry.'

"It is fine.." I trailed off.

"Hey! wazzup?" Cried a female voice, interrupting the awkward moment.

I turned around to see a tall girl (she had to be at least 5'10) with wild, untameable curls. Her face was remarkably symmetrical with a small, round-tipped nose and narrow eyes.

"Want some coffee, Dana?" asked Brian.

"Yes, please!" she exclaimed obnoxiously. "I'm about to die over here."

Dana sat down next to me and received her black beverage. She acknowledged me.

"Hi. Nice to meet you." Dana held out her large hand. I just sat there idiotically.

"Well, don't be shy. I grew up learning to shake a strangers hand. You should do it too." Dana sounded very enthusiastic.

I reluctantly returned my hand, and Dana shook it violently. I huge smile stretched across her face, pearly teeth sparkling at me. "I'm Dana, if you haven't already figured that out. Who are you?"

"um..Bailey," I replied hesitantly.

"Well," Dana surmised, giggling. "She's a shy one."

Dana then turned to Harper, roughly shaking her hand and greeting her just as she had done to me.

"Nice to meet you, Harper," Dana said after the routine was completed.

Harper flipped her bangs out off her eyes and answered, " Yeah, hi." Harper didn't like her.