Chapter Eleven

Luke's Pov

"Luke," Michael says after a while. "I know I just met you, but you know you can tell me anything, right?"

He seems like a nice guy, but there's something telling me he's not. Michael seems to notice this and he gives me a small smile.

"You're the first person who's cared about me before," I say before I can stop myself.

"What about your family?" He asks curiously.

"They've never cared," I mutter, looking down.

"They're your family. They have to care," He states.

"They act like I'm not part of the family. The only person who pays attention is my father," I mumble, wrapping my arms around myself.

"Well, that's good." He remarks, throwing me a small smile.

I shake my head, "It's not. He, just. I don't know. Forget I said anything." I finish. Does he even care?

"No, no. I want to hear." He tells me, taking one of my hands.

"All he does is drink now. And my mom, well, she just goes to work." I say instead of telling him the whole story. It's not his problem, I'm going to have to deal with this for long time.

"But you said he pays attention to you. Where does that fit in?"

"It's not the attention that I want. It's not attention that represents that you love your child. It's terrible." I bite my lip again and look down.

"Luke," He says slowly. "Are you being abused?"

I shrug, he might call the police on my father. That's only going to make things worse, for me.

"Look me in the eyes and say he isn't hurting you." He tells me sternly.

I shake my head. "Hey. Michael, I have to go," I say, trying to get out of this.

"Luke, tell me." He says, grabbing my arm as I try to get up.

I wince, my arms have bruises all over them.

"Luke," He says softer. "I'm not letting you go back in there. I care too much."

"He doesn't hurt me," I say quietly.

"Luke. Tell me the truth."

"He doesn't hurt me," I repeat.

"How do you explain the other bruises?"

I shrug. "I have to leave," I reply, walking toward the door.

"Luke," He says sternly.

"What?" I ask innocently.

He looks like he actually does care, but he just met me. I mean, he can't, it's too soon to care. He stands there for a minute and just looks at me, like I should know what to do. I can't just not go home, it'll be worse.

"You know what," He replies, but it's not sarcastic.

"Michael, I have to leave," I tell him, this time though, it's more stern than before. I don't listen to what he has to say, I just leave. I quietly sneak into my house and run up to my room.