Chapter Ten

Luke's Pov

I stand in front of my door of my house, gnawing on my lip, which yes, it's cut.

Maybe one day this'll stop. Maybe one day I won't get beaten up on a daily basis. Maybe one day I'll find someone who will love me-

My train of thought gets cut off as the door is forcefully pushed open. I am greeted with these beady, icy blue eyes. My father grabs my shirt and tugs me into the house. I'm not physically nor emotionally prepared for this. That's why I was standing outside the door, contemplating between entering the house or going to Michael's. I should've chosen Michael's.

My father shoves me against the wall, resulting in a couple family pictures shaking, all the ones that have me were taken down.

"Someone else taking care of my job, aye?" He asked. It's a rhetorical question, it's pretty obvious.

I begin to shake, I can slowly feel myself growing weaker by the day. I can't deal with any of this anymore. I can't. I'm not tough. I'm too scared to defend myself, I can't even imagine what would happen if I did. It'll most likely end up with me getting hurt, but worse.

I feel a sharp pain shoot through my cheek, it's going to bruise even more. I weakly push him, trying to get out of the house. There are tears running down the dry tear tracks from earlier. I open the door quickly, running out of the house.

I find myself outside of Michael's door, I violently shake, thinking of the consequences that I'll have when I get home. I knock as quickly as possible. The door opens with a smiling Michael.

"Hi!" He says happily, then he sees the state I'm in and he frowns.

"What happened?" He asks.

I shrug, self-consciously looking down at the ground.

"Luke." He looks at me with a stern expression.

"W-What?" I question, trying to sound innocent, but my voice is quiet and trembles out of the fear I'm feeling.
All the bruises, contusions, and blood that coats my skin is uncomfortable also painful.

"You know what," Is his response. "Come in, Luke." He says, taking my hand. He tugs me in the house, "Lie down. I'm going to get some ice and all that." He tells me as he leaves me in the room.

I settle for just sitting down. I subconsciously begin to rub my wrists, this happens when I need the pain that I want to feel. I wait for Michael to come back.

"Okay." He sighs as he sits down beside me. "Mind telling me what happened?" He asks, grabbing one of the cotton pads, putting anti-bacterial stuff on it. He gently pats it down on the cuts on my face.

I shrug, thinking about telling him. Maybe I shouldn't. I mean, he just got to this school, I'd hate to scare him away.

He continues to clean up the wounds on my face as I refuse to answer any question he has, honestly. Typically, no one bothers with me, I don't know how to answer his questions.

"Luke, you showed up at my doorstep all bloody and bruised. Something must've happened." He says once he's done. He then takes my hand in his, this is different. I quickly move away.

"Nothing happened I just fell." I shrug again.

"Falling wouldn't cause that. I know this because I fall all the time." He states.

I don't know exactly how to answer that so I remain quiet.

"Luke, I promise you. You can trust me." Michael says, smiling slightly.

"Can I really?" I ask quietly to myself. Apparently not quiet enough, he still managed to hear me.

"Stop right there," he furrows his eyebrows a little bit. "Why can't you trust me?"

I shrug. "I'm sorry.."

Michael doesn't say anything. He places his hands on my cheeks, gently running his thumbs along the bruises. He looks like he's thinking of something that's important. I advert my eyes to my thighs. I stay quiet as He thinks. I don't want to disrupt him.

"Luke?" He asks in a quiet voice. "Are you being bullied or anything?" He seems like he's afraid of the answer.

"No. Of course not." I force a smile. I hope it was convincing.

"Are you sure, Luke?"

I nod, keeping my eyes down. I know that there's going to be that glint in my eye, that's why I always look down when I lie.

"You're not meeting my eyes again." He states. "You're lying to me." He doesn't seem mad though, but I stay quiet just in case.

"You don't have to lie, Luke." He says softly. "You can trust me. I promise."

I finally glance up, there's this look in his eyes. Maybe I did find someone who cares.

----------------------------------------------

thank you for reading. hope you enjoyed this chapter!