Chapter Twelve

Luke's POV

Luke takes a deep breath, heading out the door. He has high hopes that he doesn't run into Michael. He left earlier than usual just to make sure.

Luke pulls his sweater sleeves over his hands, noticing the chill in the air. He pulls on his backpack strap, looking down at his feet as he walks passed the bus stop.

"Hey, Luke!" He hears somebody shout from behind him. He recognizes the voice and picks up the pace. "Slow down, I'm not that quick."

Luke glances behind him, seeing Michael close behind. He feels his hand being taken into somebody else's and he bites his lip. "I thought you wouldn't want to see me," he says, looking down.

"Who told you that?" Michael asks, looking down at Luke.

"Um, no one. Just a thought." Luke smiles slightly. He pulls his hand away, not seeing the look of hurt fill Michael's face.

"I'm sorry if I made you feel that way," Michael apologizes. "I want to talk to you."

Luke looks up at Michael. "Me?" Luke raises his eyebrows, slipping his hands into his pockets.

"Yes you. Who else would I be talking to?" Michael laughs slightly.

Luke shrugs, looking around. He wraps his arms around himself shyly. He looks back up at Michael. "Where would you like to talk?"

"Come with me," Michael replies, holding his hand out for Luke to take. Luke sighs, locking their fingers.

Michael smiles, pulling Luke in the direction of the pier they went to awhile ago. They both sit at the edge, legs dangling only a couple of feet above the dark water. Luke's always been quite afraid of bodies of water. He doesn't know what they could hold.

"Okay, well, I want to know the truth, Luke. I want you to be able to trust me," Michael says, looking over at the smaller boy beside him.

Luke glances over, his crystal blue eyes reveal a bit about him. Luke can mask his feeling well, but Michael can do as much as look at him and know more than Luke leads on.

"It's not that easy, Michael. You say you want me to trust you, but what you don't understand is that I have issues with that," Luke tells him, looking back down.

"I want you to know, that I want to be your friend. I want to be that person that you slowly begin to trust over time." Michael looks over at Luke with sympathy. He places his hand onto Luke's shoulder, rubbing gently.

Luke looks over, the look of vulnerability in his eyes. "I want to trust somebody, too. Believe me, Michael, but it might take a bit of time." Luke smiles gently. His smile is genuine. He would like to believe that he can trust Michael, but there's always something that gets in the way. It's just how things happen with Luke.

Michael stares at Luke, just for a moment. He takes notice on the little freckles that dot the fair skin over his nose. His nose looks as if it's what gives Luke the look of innocence he has. Michael notices the way Luke always bites his lip when he's nervous. He likes that though.

Luke looks down, back at the murky water. It's quiet for a couple of seconds, both trying to find the words to say. Michael's emerald green eyes fixated on Luke, taking notice on the little things about him.

Luke sneaks a glance over at Michael, cheeks turning a light pink when he sees Michael already looking.

"You're cute, Luke." Michael chuckles, smiling at the way Luke's cheeks turn a shade darker.

---

just a small update. im trying to get back into the habit of updating now