Family business

Akari's POV

I chewed my lip unconsciously. I had to find a way out of here. Why did Yuta not leave me alone? I sighed frustrated and went over to the window. Fourth floor. Darn it. Not even all the cloths in here would reach down to the street. Besides, that was a movie thing. I wasn't sure if that would work in real life. I wondered how Yuta even got here. Sure, his cover-job was estate agent, so it was easy for him to get buildings. I could bet that this one was pretty much empty except for me and the guards. "Darn it!", I exclaimed and stomped my feet in anger. "Come on, it's not that bad", somebody behind me said and I spun around. "Yuta", I hissed and turned back again. I heard him coming closer. "Stop right there", I ordered him as I saw his image mirrored in the window. "You're attractive when giving me the cold shoulder", he grinned. I stayed silent. He took another step forward and started playing with my hair. "I always loved your hair", he went on. "Oh really? Maybe I should cut it", I snapped back. "Please don't, princess", he whispered into my ear. I spun around and slapped him. He stared at me in disbelief but – to my anger – soon started to laugh. "What?", I asked ice-cold. "I just remembered how we always fought in kindergarten", he grinned. "So?" "Well, seems like we've gone from hate to love and now right back to hate. How long do I have to wait for it to be love again?" "If you're lucky then until your next life." "Okay. I have patience." I sighed. "Why?", I asked, defeated. "What?" "Why did you kidnap me?" "It was more like... crushnapping." "So you think I will fall in love with you after you lock me up? Think again, Romeo." "We started dating after we got locked up together." "Yuta, this isn't the same. Back then, we got held hostage and managed to escape. This time you are holding me hostage. I am locked up, you're free. And apart from that – I already rejected you. Are you counting on the Stockholm syndrome or what?" He sighed and answered: "No. I know you'll change your mind yourself." "Oh yeah? And why would I do that?", I asked ironically. "Because we are meant to be", he said satisfied. I shook my head and pointed at him: "No. No, we are not. You are meant to destroy my life yet again. Why can't you just stay away? You even followed me to Seoul!" "Oh no, actually your family's at fault for that."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hui's POV

I watched Yuto knocking at the door again. "It's hopeless", he sighed, "He won't open." "Normal people are at work right now", I replied and shivered. It was raining heavily and we already were completely drenched. "Can we go now?", I asked and turned around. I flinched. A stranger stood right behind me. "Who are you?", he asked in an incredibly deep voice. "H-Hui", I stuttered. "Yongguk!", Yuto exclaimed relieved. "And you are?", the other one turned to him. "Don't you recognize me? It's me, Yuto. You went to the military with my brother." Yongguk squinted his eyes. "You shouldn't be here talking to me if you want to get out of this unharmed", he stated after a few seconds, "You might have forgotten my profession." "I haven't. But we really need your help. And I am not part of the family business anymore", Yuto explained. I scratched my head. Which family business? And why would it get him into trouble? Yongguk sighed: "You better mean it. Anyways, let's go inside. I don't want to get any more wet."

A bit later, we sat around a table, everyone a cup of warm tea in front of us. "So, Yuto. What brought you here?", Yongguk asked. "My sister got kidnapped", he said straightforward. The other one raised an eyebrow. "Akari?", he asked. Yuto nodded. "And why is he here then?", Yongguk continued, nodding towards me. "She's my girlfriend", I snapped back, a bit mad by the fact that he seemed to ignore me. "I see", he replied and eyed me. Turning back to Akari's brother, he asked: "Do you really want to drag him into this? I don't know that much about your family, but as far as I know, Akari will not like this." "He's the only real connection left to her", Yuto shrugged. Yongguk sighed and then nodded. "I reckon", he continued, "Akari was the one kidnapped during the bank rob lately?" We nodded. "It's not my job though", he said, "Yet." "Excuse me", I interrupted him, "But what do you mean?" "Oh right", Yuto said, "I forgot to tell you: Yongguk is working for the police." Then he turned back to the other one: "I could help you with that." "No thanks. I can handle it on my own. Over there, they owe me one anyways. And they are searching for someone to work together with this newbie. Wonder why they want him in so desperately." "So it's a deal?", Yuto asked. Yongguk nodded: "But keep your family strictly out of this." "I will."

-------------------------------------------------------

Yuta's POV

"What do you even mean?", Akari asked puzzled. "Seems like you left too early, princess", I explained, "Your family is controlling a quite big area by now. We had to expand somewhere else." She inspected me with squinted eyes. "You can trust me. It's no use lying to you. We've known each other for too long already", I said. "That's true", she sighed. I inspected her. I never thought I'd ever see her again. Since kindergarten we were fighting with each other, but growing up, I couldn't deny that she became a real beauty. Our fights became bickering and competing. When we once tried to got a hold of the same documents, we started a discussing and ended up getting discovered. Tied up, we started to talk honestly to each other and figured out how to escape. Thanks to teamwork, we started to get along and some kind of affection developed. We went on several dates but then something happened. I don't know what it was, but suddenly Akari didn't want to stay in the family business anymore. She tried to persuade me to come along, but I didn't want to. Over time, we both knew it wouldn't work out anymore. She accepted it earlier than I did. After the break-up, it took me some weeks to regain composure, but as I started being honest to myself, I understood that it had been the only way. "Why did you come over by the way?", she interrupted my thoughts. I shrugged my shoulders and answered: "Just wanted to check on you. My men will bring you something to eat later. Any wishes?" "Surprise me", she replied. I smiled melancholily. She always said that whenever we went out to eat. It was kind of her challenge for me, but over time I had perfected knowing her taste. Let's see if it changed. "Okay", I nodded, "See you sometime around." "See you", she replied and turned away. I tilted my head and observed her for a few seconds. She was deep in thought. I guess, she was thinking about her family. I wondered if she missed them. I shrugged my shoulders. Not really my business. I left.

A few minutes later, I sat in my office, right next to her room. "Why did you kidnap me?" Her question from earlier echoed in my head. I wasn't sure. When I recognized her, I had been pretty surprised. And from then on, it had been pretty much decided by my guts. But now, another idea had formed in my head: Maybe she could be the solutions to our family problems. The Adachis drove us out of our usual area. I could let her go if she would promise to make her family cooperate and give us our power back. Even though they abandoned her, I was certain she could change their mind. She always found a way to make her family do what she decided. That's why she was supposed to be the new head. But would she really help me? She was the most loyal person I knew. Maybe that was her weak spot. We had promised each other eternal friendship once and even though our relationship didn't work out, the chances were high that I could still count on that. I just wondered why she decided to neglect being the new head. She had worked so hard for it before. "Sir?" I looked up and met Youngjae's eyes. He was new, but pretty good. "Yes?", I asked. "The kitchen asks for your wishes", he said. "Fried noodles for the hostage, the usual for me." Youngjae nodded and disappeared while I bowed over my desk and got lost in my newest plans.