|18|

I shut my locker and there stood Chris and TJ.

"What?" I asked with a slight attitude

"What?" I asked with a slight attitude. They both had the same facial expression which made me overthink. Did they know about Kenny and I?

"You been hiding from us all day. After we dropped your short ass off you haven't been seen all day." TJ raised his right eyebrow as Chris slid his hands in his pocket.

"Shut up. Y'all are just annoying."

"We going out to a party tonight. Wanna come?" TJ asked.

"I have to study." I responded dryly.

"Since when in the hell do you study?" Chris somewhat shouted.

"Since today. Make way." I pushed myself between the two and walked to my next class.

•••

We just got home and they boys were being hella loud. Kenny was on his way over and we haven't spoken since last night. We sit beside each other our classes and we haven't even said anything to each other.

"YOU'N NO NANN NIGGA!" TJ and Chris said from the foyer as we walked in the house.

"Man, Tone, you gotta come to this party. This shit finna be jumpin'." Chris was basically begging me to go. But I had no energy to attend any social activities with these two idiots.

"No. I'm studying. Remember?"

"You don't study!" TJ and Chris said at the same time. I rolled my eyes and went towards Daddy's office.

"If your prissy ass tell that we going out tonight, sleep with the door locked." TJ threatened as he went up the stairs. Chris gave me pleading eyes and I shook my head no. He went up the stairs behind TJ mumbling under his breath about whatever.

I knocked on the door of my dad's office hoping he was home.

"Come in." I smiled and opened the door, skipping in.

"Hi, Daddy! Whatcha' doing?" I dragged as I hugged him.

"Just signing these papers so they can go off to the office tomorrow. How was school, pumpkin?" I sighed as he patted the clear side of his desk. I hopped up there and crossed my legs.

"It was okay...I guess." I took a long pause. "Dad, how did you know when you and Mom liked each other? What did it feel like?" I asked. He signed and took his glasses off

"It was like...like fireworks. I couldn't believe that she was even mine. She stayed on my mind 24/7...I just knew she was the girl of my dreams. You can't really determine when someone is for you, you just know..." He started to tear up just thinking about my mom.

"Aww, Dad." I jumped down and hugged him tightly. His sobs became loud and my heart sunk. It's like I could feel it breaking.

"I'm sorry, babygirl." He sat up and wiped his tears. Daddy couldn't even look at me.

"I just get caught up thinking about her sometimes. And you just remind me of her so much. You're caring, sweet, and just as beautiful as her." A frowned must've grew bigger because he kissed my forehead and look me in the eyes.

"Babygirl, don't be sad. She's proud of you. You're hard working and determined and she loved every bit of you. Understand?" I nodded.

"Now go on. Fix yourself to something to eat, skinny mini." He playfully pushed me away and I giggled. Before I went out the room I turned to him.

"Daddy?"

"Yes?"

"TJ is going to a party." My evil grin eased onto my lips as his eyes grew wide.

"TERRANCE!" He yelled as I ran out.