Friends

Anita and Shwetha had been best friends since the latter joined that company. Every evening, after work, they would sit and chat.

After a year, Shwetha met a guy named Deepak in a mall. As time passed, they became good friends. They would go to movies, malls, and parks together. It went on for a year. Shwetha would tell Anita about their outings in detail. One day, in the evening, Shwetha told Anita that Deepak had confessed his love.

"Really?! Did you say 'yes'?" Anita excitedly asked.

"No, I said I'd reply next week." Shwetha replied in a sad tone.

"What?! Why?! I meant you like him a lot, right?" Anita was puzzled. Shwetha nodded.

"Yes, it's true that I like him. He is kind, gentle and smart. But..." She stopped.

"But what?" Anita was curious.

"I feel something is off about him. He has never talked about his parents, nor his whereabouts. Whenever I tried to know, he evaded my questions."

"Ok, then I'll find out his dark secrets. What do you say, my friend?" Anita comically said. Shwetha joined her hands in gratitude.

Two days later, when they met as usual, Anita told everything that she had found out about Deepak.

"He lives in a rented studio apartment with his dad. His dad is a drunkard who cares for nothing but liquor. His mom ran away with someone when Deepak was a kid. He has been on his own since his childhood. Every Saturday, he volunteers at a nearby orphanage. That's the reason he evaded your questions. I think you better talk to him. Don't lose him, girl." Anita pressed Shwetha's hand gently. Shwetha took a sigh of relief.

"Thank you very much. But how did you...?" Shwetha paused.

"Did you already forget? I was a marketing executive. I know this entire town, girl. Being a ghost is an added advantage, you know." Anita winked at Shwetha. And they both laughed.