Ch. 3.1 Enter Drake

"The Portal Guardian must be desperate to recruit a low life like you."

Alex's hand was on her dagger as she raised her eyes. Rile was quicker and on his feet before the male Agama. He was small, the same size as Rena, who stood only five-foot-five. His muzzle was long and narrow and his body thin but muscular, the hard muscles of someone used to living outside society, although his clothes were neat and clean, cleverly made of soft leather.

"Who are you calling low life, worm?" Rile demanded.

With Rile on his feet, Alex took the time to draw her Guardian sword, even though the Agama had no visible weapon. She sheathed it when the speaker laughed and pounded Rile on his shoulders.

"When were you going to tell me you were back?" the speaker said in a mock-accusing tone.

"Never, Drake. I knew you'd come looking for me, so why should I waste my energy?" Rile replied smugly.

"That's the Rile I know. Let's go. We've drinking and partying to catch up on," Drake said, his eyes hypnotic, his voice low and seductive.

Rile turned to look at Alex and Drake's gaze followed his motions closely.

"This your leash holder now?" Drake asked, the smooth tone almost as insulting as a snide one.

"I hold no leashes," Alex said calmly. She knew that Rile would rebel even the hint of restraint. "Have fun. Gabe and Cale are around, so you don't have to worry about me."

I'm not above reminding him of my vulnerable status here.

Rile's eyes were warm as he gazed at her. If she didn't know him so well, she would have laughed at the expression on his face. He was clearly torn between leaving with Drake and keeping her close. He had his arms wrapped around her and he leaned in to kiss her.

"Those two certainly aren't going anywhere," Drake sneered.

Alex broke the embrace to eye Rile's friend. And when she was looking at him, he seemed to be looking at her with his black eyes, painting Alex's soul in oil. Alex said quickly, "As a matter of fact, now that Gabe is the military strategist to the Clan Head Assembly and Cale is first assistant to the healer, they'll be busy. I'll stay with Guardian Ture. I want to hear his stories, too."

As she walked off, Alex heard Drake say, "I can't believe you're with someone who defends that stiff Gabe."

She couldn't hear Rile's reply, but her heart told her that he didn't tell Drake that they had been united by the Portal Guardian.

Alex saw Cale walk out of the infirmary, so she tagged along with him instead. They found Gabe and had dinner. There was a nervous, pleasant feeling as the evening's first goblet of wine trickled down her throat. The wine relaxed her as she sat on the cushions as Gabe and Cale went over some training notes.

"Who is Drake?" Alex asked once there was a lull in their conversation.

I expected Gabe to look angry, but even Cale is upset, so it's worse than I thought.

"How do you know about Drake?" Cale asked, his claws digging into the wine goblet.

"He found Rile and they went out drinking. Was my bad first impression correct?"

"Probably wasn't bad enough," Gabe said, hide flushed a deep gold in anger.

"Even Father couldn't counter Drake's influence," Cale added and gulped some wine.

Alex pondered that in silence.

"Don't worry, Alex, you have far more influence on Rile than Father did. It'll be okay," Cale sounded doubtful and downed the rest of his wine.

Alex wasn't worried enough to lose any sleep over the matter, but even she awakened when Rile stumbled over her, a cold draft of air blowing in from the tent flap. He nuzzled her after he landed next to her. The taste of his breath was sweet and sharp like the taste of wine.

"At least you're a happy drunk." Alex patted him.

"What are your brothers doing here?" Drake, standing at the open tent flap, did not sound drunk at all, his eyes dark and smoldering,.

"What are you doing here?" Gabe asked, hostility outweighing what Alex teased was his 'full-on Clan Head tone'.

"Escorting Rile home. You've turned him into a lightweight," Drake said.

"Allow us to escort you out," Gabe said.

"No thanks. See you tomorrow night, Rile." It was not a question.

"Sure, buddy. Bye. Now c'mon, Alex, let's have some of the happy light." Rile nuzzled Alex again.

"Rile, your brothers are right here."

"They can leave. Gabe, Cale, do sentry duty or something."

"Rile, go to sleep." Alex put a glowing hand on his chest to force compliance. It didn't take much.

***

A/N

Dedicated to Torkuda

Thanks for all your faithful reads and votes!