Ch. 4.2 No Longer Hatchlings

The Anolis males were safely packed off to their new quarters with both protection and re-education as to how a free life is lived. Alex's Guardian sword had gifted each of them several opals for their new necklaces and a handful of star sapphires to pay for the jewelry as well.

The next day, Alex tugged on Zilik's necklace around her neck and it popped off. "Just checking." She winked at him.

Zilik replaced it and fluffed her hair. "Five Anolis females with their harems were spotted entering the city. All are highly placed in the Kuni's military."

"Time to decimate the Kuni's command."

"Alex, don't let your bloodlust get the best of you." Zilik laid his hand on her shoulder. His hand was cool with a firm grip.

"I brought your forearm shields this time." Alex raised her arm so the shields engraved with Chameleons curling around it could be seen. The Chameleons were outlined in silver and their eyes were black. "I wear them all the time."

"That pleases me," Zilik said.

"And myself," Razz said. "How do we look?"

Alex tapped her chin. "Hmm, turn around, boys."

Razz's features radiated happiness, the flash of white teeth, the beam of adoration in his black button eyes. Even his teal scales shimmered and Alex would swear the opals in his freedom collar flashed orange, blue, and green fire.

Kress and Trac, while the ordinary green of the Anolis, were well-oiled with something that had golden dust in it and their expressions were adorable. Their freedom collar opals also sparkled and they winked at her.

"Y'all are magnificent." She inhaled deeply. "What are you wearing? It's smells...luxurious." She inhaled again.

"It was the most expensive scent I could buy. I sold a star sapphire to purchase it. The Anolis females will instantly recognize it and know the cost. They will be very, very angry and jealous."

"Ooooo," Alex said with appreciation.

Zilik nodded. "I was happy to donate the star sapphire for the funds. Thank you, Alex, for supplying them."

"Show her what else," Razz said to his friends.

Kress and Trac flashed their daggers, gilded pieces of art, beautiful and lethal weapons made for the male Anolis' hand.

"Lok had those made," Zilik said with grudging respect.

"Nice. What are they for? How much training have you had? You aren't planning to fight, are you? Defend yourselves only. Leave the fighting to me. Stay away from those fire truck Anolis females. Don't leave the party. Don't let them corner you alone. Stay in my line of sight." Alex punctuated her statements with jabs on each of their chests.

"Alex, I assure you that we are no longer hatchlings," Razz said. "We live on our own when you are not here."

"When I'm not here, I'm not provoking Anolis females and you're not standing next to me as handsome, well-dressed targets in your world's most expensive cologne." Alex poked his chest again.

Razz lifted his chin at her. Kress put his arm around Trac, who leaned against him.

"Don't you look at me in that stubborn way," Alex told Razz.

Trac and Kress chuckled but Zilik wisely stayed silent.

"Don't laugh at me." Alex turned on Trac and Kress. "Why are y'all taking this so lightly?" She threw her hands up. "Males, can't live with them, can't blast them unconscious. Oh wait, yes I can." She shook a white-sparking finger at the three Anolis.